Syllabus – Mains /
Paper 5 – General Studies 4
PAPER‐V – General Studies 4
Ethics, Integrity and Aptitude
This paper will include questions to test the candidates’ attitude and approach to issues relating to integrity, probity in public life and his problem solving approach to various issues and conflicts faced by him in dealing with society. Questions may utilise the case study approach to determine these aspects. The following broad areas will be covered:
- Ethics and Human Interface: Essence, determinants and consequences of Ethics in-human actions; dimensions of ethics; ethics – in private and public relationships. Human Values -lessons from the lives and teachings of great leaders, reformers and administrators; role of family society and educational institutions in inculcating values.
- Attitude : content, structure, function; its influence and relation with thought and behaviour; moral and political attitudes; social influence and persuasion.
- Aptitude and foundational values for Civil Service, integrity, impartiality and non-partisanship, objectivity, dedication to public service, empathy, tolerance and compassion towards the weaker-sections.
- Emotional intelligence-concepts, and their utilities and application in administration and governance.
- Contributions of moral thinkers and philosophers from India and world.
- Public/Civil service values and Ethics in Public administration: Status and problems; ethical
concerns and dilemmas in government and private institutions; laws, rules, regulations and conscience as sources of ethical guidance; accountability and ethical governance; strengthening of ethical and moral values in governance; ethical issues in international relations and funding; corporate governance.
- Probity in Governance: Concept of public service; Philosophical basis of governance and probity; Information sharing and transparency in government, Right to Information, Codes of Ethics, Codes of Conduct, Citizen’s Charters, Work culture, Quality of service delivery, Utilization of public funds, challenges of corruption.
- Case Studies on above issues.
UPSC IAS IPS Interview Venue – Office of the Union Public Service Commission at Dholpur House, Shahjahan Road, New Delhi-110069
Download e-Admit card-Civil Service IAS/IPS Preliminary and Main exam e-Admit card can be downloaded from the website
Candidates must write the papers in their own hand-Mobile Phones Banned-Communication to the Commission
Civil Service IAS/IPS Preliminary exam Fee is Rs.100/-
Civil Service IAS/IPS Main Exam Fee is Rs.200/-
Civil Services Examination will consist of two successive stages-Preliminary-Main-Interview
Paper I General Studies ( Compulsory ) – 100 Questions
Objective Type – multiple choice questions – 200 Marks ( 2 Hours duration )
Civil Service Vacancies for the year 2021 is expected to be 712-Posts included in Civil Service Exam
Optional Subject Papers I & II-Agriculture-Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Science-Anthropology-Botany-Chemistry-Civil Engineering
Preliminary Examination-Paper I-Current events-History of India-INM-Geography-Polity-Economic and Social Development-Environmental ecology-General Science-Paper II-CSAT
Nationality-Age Limits-Minimum Educational Qualification-Number of attempts-Restricted Candidates-
Indian Civil Service Preliminary Exam Date – 27th June, 2021 rescheduled to 10th October, 2021
Online Application can be filled from 4th March, 2021 to 24th March, 2021