Syllabus – Mains /
(Answers must be written in Kannada)
A. History of Kannada Language
What is Language ? General characteristics of Language. Dravidian Family of Languages and its specific features. Antiquity of Kannada Language. Different phases of its Development.
Dialects of Kannada Language : Regional and Social. Various aspects of developments of Kannada Language: phonological and Semantic changes. Language borrowing.
B. History of Kannada Literature
Ancient Kannada literature : Influence and Trends, Poets for study : Specified poets from Pampa to Ratnakara Varni are to be studied in the light of contents, form and expression : Pampa, Janna,
Medieval Kannada literature : Influence and Trends.
Vachana Literature : Basavanna, Akka Mahadevi.
Medieval Poets : Harihara, Raghavanka, Kumara-Vyasa.
Dasa literature : Purandara and Kanaka.
Sangataya : Ratnakarvarni
C. Modern Kannada literature : Influence, trends and ideologies, Navodaya, Pragatishila, Navya, Dalita and Bandaya.
A. Poetics and Literary Criticism
Definition and concepts of poetry; Word, Meaning, Alankara, Reeti, Rasa, Dhwani, Auchitya. Interpretations of Rasa Sutra. Modern Trends of literary criticism : Formalist, Historical, Marxist, Feminist, Post-colonial criticism.
B. Cultural History of Karnataka
Contribution of Dynasties to the culture of Karnataka: Chalukyas of Badami and Kalyani, Rashtrakutas, Hoysalas, Vijayanagara rulers, in literary context
Major religions of Karnataka and their cultural contribution.
Arts of Karnataka ; Sculpture, Architecture, Painting, Music, Dance—in the literary context. Unification of Karnataka and its impact of Kannada literature.
(Answers must be written in Kannada)
The Paper will require first-hand reading of the Texts prescribed and will be designed to test the critical ability of the candidates
A. Old Kannada Literature
1. Vikramaarjuna Vijaya of Pampa (Cantos 12 & 13), (Mysore University Pub.)
2. Vaddaraadhane (Sukumaraswamyia Kathe, Vidyutchorana Kathe)
B. Medieval Kannada Literature
1. Vachana, Kammata, Ed. K. Marulasiddappa K.R. Nagaraj (Bangalore University Pub.)
2. Janapriya Kanakasamputa, Ed. D. Javare Gowda (Kannada and Culture Directorate, Bangalore)
3. Nambiyannana Ragale, Ed., T.N. Sreekantaiah (Ta. Vem. Smaraka Grantha Male, Mysore)
4. Kumaravyasa Bharata : Karna Parva (Mysore University)
5. Bharatesha Vaibhava Sangraha Ed Ta. Su. Shama Rao (Mysore University)
A. Modern Kannada Literature
1. Poetry : Hosagannada Kavite, Ed. G.H. Nayak (Kannada Saahitya Parishattu, Bangalore)
2. Novel : Bettada Jeeva—Shivarama Karanta Madhavi—Anupama NiranjanaOdalaala-Deva-nuru Mahadeva
3. Short Story : Kannada Sanna Kathegalu, Ed. G.H. Nayak (Sahitya Academy, New Delhi)
4. Drama : Shudra Tapaswi—Kuvempu. Tughalak—Girish Karnad.
5. Vichara Sahitya : Devaru—A.N. Moorty Rao (Pub: D.V.K.Moorty, Mysore.)
B. Folk Literature :
1. Janapada Swaroopa—Dr. H.M. Nayak. (Ta. Vem. Smaraka Grantha Male, Mysore.)
2. Janpada Geetaanjali—Ed. D. Javare Gowda.(Pub : Sahitya Academy, New Delhi).
3. Kannada Janapada Kathegalu—Ed. J.S. Paramashiviaah (Mysore University).
4. Beedi Makkalu Beledo. Ed. Kalegowda Nagavara (Pub : Bangalore University).
5. Savirada Ogatugalu—Ed. S.G. Imrapura.
UPSC IAS IPS Interview Venue – Office of the Union Public Service Commission at Dholpur House, Shahjahan Road, New Delhi-110069
Download e-Admit card-Civil Service IAS/IPS Preliminary and Main exam e-Admit card can be downloaded from the website
Candidates must write the papers in their own hand-Mobile Phones Banned-Communication to the Commission
Civil Service IAS/IPS Preliminary exam Fee is Rs.100/-
Civil Service IAS/IPS Main Exam Fee is Rs.200/-
Civil Services Examination will consist of two successive stages-Preliminary-Main-Interview
Paper I General Studies ( Compulsory ) – 100 Questions
Objective Type – multiple choice questions – 200 Marks ( 2 Hours duration )
Civil Service Vacancies for the year 2021 is expected to be 712-Posts included in Civil Service Exam
Optional Subject Papers I & II-Agriculture-Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Science-Anthropology-Botany-Chemistry-Civil Engineering
Preliminary Examination-Paper I-Current events-History of India-INM-Geography-Polity-Economic and Social Development-Environmental ecology-General Science-Paper II-CSAT
Nationality-Age Limits-Minimum Educational Qualification-Number of attempts-Restricted Candidates-
Indian Civil Service Preliminary Exam Date – 27th June, 2021 rescheduled to 10th October, 2021
Online Application can be filled from 4th March, 2021 to 24th March, 2021