Syllabus – Mains /
History of Language and Literature
[Answers must be written in Bengali]
Section A : Topics from the History of Bangla language
1. The chronological track from Proto Indo-European to Bangla (Family tree with branches and approximate dates).
2. Historical stages of Bangla (Old, Middle, New) and their linguistic features.
3. Dialects of Bangla and their distinguishing characteristics.
4. Elements of Bangla Vocabulary.
5. Forms of Bangla Literary Prose—Sadhu and Chalit.
6. Processes of language change relevant for Bangla : Apinihiti (Anaptyxis), Abhishruti (umlaut), Murdhanyibhavan (cerebralization), Nasikyibhavan (Nasalization), Samibhavan (Assimilation), Sadrishya (Analogy), Svaragama (Vowel insertion) —Adi Svaragama, Madhya Svaragama or Svarabhakti, Antya Svaragama, Svarasangati (Vowel harmony), y—shruti and w—shruti.
7. Problems of standardization and reform of alphabet and spelling, and those of transliteration and Romanization.
8. Phonology, Morphology and Syntax of Modern Bangla. (Sounds of Modern Bangla, Conjuncts; word formations, compounds; basic sentence patterns.)
Section B : Topics from the History of Bangla Literature.
1. Periodization of Bangla Literature : Old Bangla and Middle Bangla.
2. Points of difference between modern and pre-modern Bangla Literature.
3. Roots and reasons behind the emergence of modernity in Bangla Literature.
4. Evolution of various Middle Bangla forms ; Mangal Kavyas, Vaishnava lyrics, Adapted narratives (Ramayana, Mahabharata, Bhagavata) and religious biographies.
5. Secular forms in middle Bangla literature.
6. Narrative and lyric trends in the nineteenth century Bangla poetry.
7. Development of prose.
8. Bangla dramatic literature (nineteenth century, Tagore, Post-1944 Bangla drama).
9. Tagore and post-Tagoreans.
10. Fiction, major authors : Bankimchandra, Tagore, Saratchandra, Bibhutibhusan, Tarasankar, Manik ).
11. Women and Bangla literature : creators and created
[Answers must be written in Bengali]
1. Vaishnava Padavali (Calcutta University) Poems of Vidyapati, Chandidas, Jnanadas, Govindadas and Balaramdas.
2. Chandimangal Kalketu episode by Mukunda (Sahitya Akademi).
3. Chaitanya Charitamrita, Madhya Lila by Krishnadas Kaviraj (Sahitya Akademi).
4. Meghnadbadh Kavya by Madhusudan Dutta.
5. Kapalkundala by Bankimchandra Chatterjee.
6. Samya and Bangadesher Krishak by Bankimchandra Chatterjee.
7. Sonar Tari by Rabindranath Tagore.
8. Chhinnapatravali by Rabindranath Tagore.
9. Raktakarabi by Rabindranath Tagore.
10. Nabajatak by Rabindranath Tagore.
11. Grihadaha by Saratchandra Chatterjee.
12. Prabandha Samgraha, Vol. 1, by Pramatha Choudhuri.
13. Aranyak by Bibhutibhusan Banerjee.
14. Short stories by Manik Bandyopadhyay : Atashi Mami, Pragaitihasik, Holud-Pora, Sarisrip, Haraner Natjamai, Chhoto-Bokulpurer Jatri, Kustharogir Bou, Jakey Ghush Ditey Hoy.
15. Shrestha Kavita by Jibanananda Das.
16. Jagori by Satinath Bhaduri.
17. Ebam Indrajit by Badal Sircar
UPSC IAS IPS Interview Venue – Office of the Union Public Service Commission at Dholpur House, Shahjahan Road, New Delhi-110069
Download e-Admit card-Civil Service IAS/IPS Preliminary and Main exam e-Admit card can be downloaded from the website
Candidates must write the papers in their own hand-Mobile Phones Banned-Communication to the Commission
Civil Service IAS/IPS Preliminary exam Fee is Rs.100/-
Civil Service IAS/IPS Main Exam Fee is Rs.200/-
Civil Services Examination will consist of two successive stages-Preliminary-Main-Interview
Paper I General Studies ( Compulsory ) – 100 Questions
Objective Type – multiple choice questions – 200 Marks ( 2 Hours duration )
Civil Service Vacancies for the year 2021 is expected to be 712-Posts included in Civil Service Exam
Optional Subject Papers I & II-Agriculture-Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Science-Anthropology-Botany-Chemistry-Civil Engineering
Preliminary Examination-Paper I-Current events-History of India-INM-Geography-Polity-Economic and Social Development-Environmental ecology-General Science-Paper II-CSAT
Nationality-Age Limits-Minimum Educational Qualification-Number of attempts-Restricted Candidates-
Indian Civil Service Preliminary Exam Date – 27th June, 2021 rescheduled to 10th October, 2021
Online Application can be filled from 4th March, 2021 to 24th March, 2021