UPSC Combined Geo-Scientist and Geologist Examination Scheme 2018
1. UPSC Geologist Examination 2018 shall be conducted according to the following Plan
Part I : UPSC Geologist written examination 2018 in the subjects as set out in para 2 below.
Part II : UPSC Geologist Interview / Personality Test 2018 of such candidates as may be called by the Union Public Service Commission, carrying a maximum of 200 marks.
2. The following will be the subjects for the UPSC Geologist written examination 2018, for selection to the post of Geologist, Geophysicist and Chemical Group ‘A’ in GSI and Junior Hydro-geologist ( Scientist ‘B’ ), Group ‘A’ for Central Ground Water Board.
Subject Duration Maximum Marks
1) General English ( common for all category ) 3 hrs. 100
Category - 1 For the post of Geologists
2) Geology Paper I 3 hrs. 200
3) Geology Paper II 3 hrs. 200
4) Geology Paper III 3 hrs. 200
Category - 2 For the post of Geophysicists
2. Geophysics Paper I 3 hrs. 200
3. Geophysics Paper II 3 hrs. 200
4. Geophysics Paper III 3 hrs. 200
Category - 3 For the post of Chemists
2. Chemistry Paper I 3 hrs 200
3. Chemistry Paper II 3 hrs 200
4. Chemistry Paper III 3 hrs 200
Category - 4 For the Post of Junior Hydrogeologist
2. Geology Paper I 3 hrs 200
3. Geology Paper II 3 hrs 200
4. Hydrogeology 3 hrs 200
Note : I Candidates competing for selection to the posts of UPSC Geologist, Geophysicist, Chemist and Junior Hydrogeologist will be required to appear in all the subjects mentioned against respective category above.
Note : II Candidates competing for selection for both the posts of Geologist and Junior Hydrogeologist will be required to appear in all the subjects mentioned against Categories 1 and 4 above.
Note : III If any candidate failed to appear in any one or more of above papers, meant for written examination for selection to the post of Geologist, Geophysicist, Chemist, their candidature shall stand rejected and part of written examination appeared by him / her shall not be evaluated and counted for any purpose.
3. The UPSC Geologists Examination 2018 in all the subjects will be of conventional ( Essay ) type.
4. All Question papers must be answered in English. The UPSC Geologists Exam Question Papers will be set in English only.
5. The standard and syllabus of the Geologists examination 2018 will be as shown in the schedule.
6. Candidates must write the papers in their own hand. In no circumstances they will be allowed the help of scribe to write answers for them. However, blind candidates and the candidates with locomotor disability and cerebral palsy where dominant ( writing ) extremity is affected to the extent of slowing the performance of function ( minimum of 40% impairment ) will be allowed to write Combined Geo-Scientist and Geologist Examination with the help of a scribe.
Compensatory time of twenty minutes per hour shall be permitted for the Blind candidates and the candidates with locomotor disability and cerebral palsy where dominant ( writing extremity is affected to the extent of slowing the performance of function ( minimum of 40% impairment ) will also be allowed in the Combined Geo-Scientist and Geologist Examination.
7. The Union Public Service Commission have discretion to fix qualifying marks in any or all the subjects of the UPSC Geologist examination.
8. If a candidate’s handwriting is not easily legible, deduction will be made on this account from the total marks otherwise accruing to him / her.
9. Marks will not be allotted for mere superficial knowledge.
10. Credit will be given for orderly, effective and exact expression combined with due economy of words in all subjects of the Geologist examination.
11. In the question papers wherever necessary, questions involving the Metric System of Weights and Measures only will be set.
12. Candidates should use only International form of Indian numerals ( e.g. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 etc ) while answering question papers.
13. Candidates are permitted to bring and use battery operated pocket calculators for answering papers in UPSC Geologists examination 2018. Loaning or inter-changing of calculators in the UPSC Examination Hall is not permitted.
14. UPSC Geologist Interview for Personality Test 2018
The candidate will be interviewed by a Board of competent and unbiased observers who will have before them a record of his / her career. The object of the UPSC Geologist interview 2018 is to assess his / her suitability for the UPSC posts for which he / she has competed.
Special attention will be paid in the UPSC Geologists Personality Test 2018 to assessing the candidate’s capacity for leadership, initiative and intellectual curiosity, tact and other social qualities, mental and physical energy, powers of practical application, integrity of character and aptitude for adapting themselves to the field life.