UPSC ESE Exam 2018 Syllabus for Electronics & Telecommunication
Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering
Paper – I
1. Basic Electronics Engineering : Basics of semiconductors; Diode / Transistor basics and characteristics; Diodes for different uses; Junction & Field Effect Transistors ( BJTs, JFETs, MOSFETs ); Transistor amplifiers of different types, oscillators and other circuits; Basics of Integrated Circuits ( ICs ); Bipolar, MOS and CMOS ICs; Basics of linear ICs, operational amplifiers and their applications-linear / non-linear; Optical sources / detectors; Basics of Opto electronics and its applications.
2. Basic Electrical Engineering : DC circuits-Ohm’s & Kirchoff’s laws, mesh and nodal analysis, circuit theorems; Electro-magnetism, Faraday’s & Lenz’s laws, induced EMF and its uses; Single-phase AC circuits; Transformers, efficiency; Basics-DC machines, induction machines, and synchronous machines; Electrical power sources-basics: hydroelectric, thermal, nuclear, wind, solar; Basics of batteries and their uses.
3. Materials Science : Electrical Engineering materials; Crystal structure & defects; Ceramic materials-structures, composites, processing and uses; Insulating laminates for electronics, structures, properties and uses; Magnetic materials, basics, classification, ferrites, ferro / paramagnetic materials and components; Nano materials-basics, preparation, purification, sintering, nano particles and uses; Nanooptical / magnetic / electronic materials and uses; Superconductivity, uses.
4. Electronic Measurements and Instrumentation : Principles of measurement, accuracy, precision and standards; Analog and Digital systems for measurement, measuring instruments for different applications; Static / dynamic characteristics of measurement systems, errors, statistical analysis and curve fitting; Measurement systems for non-electrical quantities; Basics of telemetry; Different types of transducers and displays; Data acquisition system basics.
5. Network Theory : Network graphs & matrices; Wye – Delta transformation; Linear constant coefficient differential equations – time domain analysis of RLC circuits; Solution of network equations using Laplace transforms- frequency domain analysis of RLC circuits; 2-port network parameters driving point & transfer functions; State equations for networks; Steady state sinusoidal analysis.
6. Analog and Digital Circuits : Small signal equivalent circuits of diodes, BJTS and FETs; Diode circuits for different uses; Biasing & stability of BJT & JFET amplifier circuits; Analysis / design of amplifier- single / multi – stage; Feedback & uses; Active filters, timers, multipliers, wave shaping, A / D – D / A converters; Boolean Algebra & uses; Logic gates, Digital IC families, Combinatorial / sequential circuits; Basics of multiplexers, counters /registers / memories / microprocessors, design& applications.
Paper – II
1. Analog and Digital Communication Systems : Random signals, noise, probability theory, information theory; Analog versus digital communication & applications: Systems AM, FM, transmitters / receivers, theory / practice / standards, SNR comparison; Digital communication basics: Sampling, quantizing, coding, PCM, DPCM, multiplexing-audio / video; Digital modulation: ASK, FSK, PSK; Multiple access: TDMA, FDMA, CDMA; Optical communication: fibre optics, theory, practice / standards.
2. Control Systems : Classification of signals and systems; Application of signal and system theory; System realization; Transforms& their applications; Signal flow graphs, Routh – Hurwitz criteria, root loci, Nyquist / Bode plots; Feedback systems-open &close loop types, stability analysis, steady state, transient and frequency response analysis; Design of control systems, compensators, elements of lead/lag compensation, PID and industrial controllers.
3. Computer Organization and Architecture : Basic architecture, CPU, I / O organisation, memory organisation, peripheral devices, trends; Hardware/software issues; Data representation & Programming; Operating systems-basics, processes, characteristics, applications; Memory management, virtual memory, file systems, protection & security; Data bases, different types, characteristics and design; Transactions and concurrency control; Elements of programming languages, typical examples.
4. Electro Magnetics : Elements of vector calculus, Maxwell’s equations-basic concepts; Gauss’, Stokes’ theorems; Wave propagation through different media; Transmission Lines – different types, basics, Smith’s chart, impedance matching / transformation, S-parameters, pulse excitation, uses; Waveguides – basics, rectangular types, modes, cut-off frequency, dispersion, dielectric types; Antennas-radiation
pattern, monopoles / dipoles, gain, arrays-active / passive, theory, uses.
5. Advanced Electronics Topics : VLSI technology: Processing, lithography, interconnects, packaging, testing; VLSI design: Principles, MUX / RO / PLA – based design, Moore & Mealy circuit design; Pipeline concepts & functions; Design for testability, examples; DSP: Discrete time signals / systems, uses; Digital filters: FIR / IIR types, design, speech / audio / radar signal processing uses; Microprocessors & microcontrollers, basics, interrupts, DMA, instruction sets, interfacing; Controllers & uses; Embedded systems.
6. Advanced Communication Topics : Communication networks: Principles / practices / technologies / uses / OSI model / security; Basic packet multiplexed streams / scheduling; Cellular networks, types, analysis, protocols ( TCP / TCPIP ); Microwave & satellite communication: Terrestrial / space type LOS systems, block schematics link calculations, system design; Communication satellites, orbits, characteristics, systems, uses; Fibre – optic communication systems, block schematics, link calculations, system design.
UPSC Engineering Service Exam 2018 Exam Date – Eligibility – Qualification – Application – Application Last Date – Exam Scheme – General Ability Syllabus – Civil Engg. Syllabus – Mechanical Engg. Syllabus – Electrical Engg. Syllabus – Exam Center