UPSC ESE Exam 2017 Syllabus for Civil Engineering
- Building Materials : Stone, Lime, Glass, Plastics, Steel, FRP, Ceramics, Aluminum, Fly Ash, Basic Admixtures, Timber, Bricks and Aggregates : Classification, properties and selection criteria;Cement : Types, Composition, Properties, Uses, Specifications and various Tests; Lime & Cement Mortars and Concrete : Properties and various Tests; Design of Concrete Mixes : Proportioning of aggregates and methods of mix design.
- Solid Mechanics : Elastic constants, stress, plane stress, strains, plane strain, Mohr’s circle of stress and strain, Elastic theories of failure; Principal Stresses, Bending, Shear and Torsion.
- Structural Analysis : Basics of strength of materials, Types of stresses and strains, Bending moments and shear force, concept of bending and shear stresses; Analysis of determinate and indeterminate structures; Trusses, beams, plane frames; Rolling loads, Influence Lines, Unit load method & other methods; Free and Forced vibrations of single degree and multi degree freedom system; Suspended Cables; Concepts and use of Computer Aided Design.
- Design of Steel Structures : Principles of Working Stress methods, Design of tension and compression members, Design of beams and beam column connections, built-up sections, Girders, Industrial roofs, Principles of Ultimate load design.
- Design of Concrete and Masonry Structures : Limit state design for bending, shear, axial compression and combined forces. Design of beams, Slabs, Lintels, Foundations, Retaining walls, Tanks, Staircases; Principles of pre-stressed concrete design including materials and methods; Earthquake resistant design of structures; Design of Masonry Structure.
- Construction Practice, Planning and Management : Construction – Planning, Equipment, Site investigation and Management including Estimation with latest project management tools and network analysis for different Types of works; Analysis of Rates of various types of works; Tendering Process and Contract Management, Quality Control, Productivity, Operation Cost; Land acquisition; Labour safety and welfare.
Civil Engineering : Paper – II
1. Flow of Fluids, Hydraulic Machines and Hydro Power :
- Fluid Mechanics, Open Channel Flow, Pipe Flow : Fluid properties; Dimensional Analysis and Modeling; Fluid dynamics including flow kinematics and measurements; Flow net; Viscosity, Boundary layer and control, Drag, Lift, Principles in open channel flow, Flow controls. Hydraulic jump; Surges; Pipe networks.
- Hydraulic Machines and Hydropower : Various pumps, Air vessels, Hydraulic turbines – types, classifications & performance parameters; Power house – classification and layout, storage, pondage, control of supply.
2. Hydrology and Water Resources Engineering :
- Hydrological cycle, Ground water hydrology, Well hydrology and related data analysis; Streams and their gauging; River morphology; Flood, drought and their management; Capacity of Reservoirs.
- Water Resources Engineering : Multipurpose uses of Water, River basins and their potential; Irrigation systems, water demand assessment; Resources – storages and their yields; Water logging, canal and drainage design, Gravity dams, falls, weirs, Energy dissipaters, barrage Distribution works, Cross drainage works and head-works and their design; Concepts in canal design, construction & maintenance; River training, measurement and analysis of rainfall.
3. Environmental Engineering :
- Water Supply Engineering : Sources, Estimation, quality standards and testing of water and their treatment; Rural, Institutional and industrial water supply; Physical, chemical and biological characteristics and sources of water, Pollutants in water and its effects, Estimation of water demand; Drinking water Standards, Water Treatment Plants, Water distribution networks.
- Waste Water Engineering : Planning & design of domestic waste water, sewage collection and disposal; Plumbing Systems. Components and layout of sewerage system; Planning & design of Domestic Waste-water disposal system; Sludge management including treatment, disposal and re-use of treated effluents; Industrial waste waters and Effluent Treatment Plants including institutional and industrial sewage management.
- Solid Waste Management : Sources & classification of solid wastes along with planning & design of its management system; Disposal system, Beneficialaspects of wastes and Utilization by Civil Engineers.
- Air, Noise pollution and Ecology : Concepts & general methodology.
4. Geo-technical Engineering and Foundation Engineering :
- Geo-technical Engineering : Soil exploration – planning & methods, Properties of soil, classification, various tests and interrelationships; Permeability & Seepage, Compressibility, consolidation and Shearing resistance, Earth pressure theories and stress distribution in soil; Properties and uses of geo-synthetics.
- Foundation Engineering : Types of foundations & selection criteria, bearing capacity, settlement analysis, design and testing of shallow & deep foundations; Slope stability analysis, Earthen embankments, Dams and Earth retaining structures: types, analysis and design, Principles of ground modifications.
5. Surveying and Geology :
- Surveying : Classification of surveys, various methodologies, instruments & analysis of measurement of distances, elevation and directions; Field astronomy, Global Positioning System; Map preparation; Photogrammetry; Remote sensing concepts; Survey Layout for culverts, canals, bridges, road/railway alignment and buildings, Setting out of Curves.
- Geology : Basic knowledge of Engineering geology & its application in projects.
6. Transportation Engineering :
Highways – Planning & construction methodology, Alignment and geometric design; Traffic Surveys and Controls; Principles of Flexible and Rigid pavements design.
Tunneling – Alignment, methods of construction, disposal of muck, drainage, lighting and ventilation.
Railways Systems – Terminology, Planning, designs and maintenance practices; track modernization.
Harbours – Terminology, layouts and planning.
Airports – Layout, planning & design.
UPSC Engineering Service Exam 2017 : Exam Date – Eligibility – Qualification – Application – Application Last Date – Exam Scheme – General Ability Syllabus – Mechanical Engg. Syllabus – Electrical Engg. Syllabus – Electronics Telecommunication Engg. Syllabus – Exam Center