UPSC Indian Engineering Services Examination – IES Exam 2014 Eligibility
I. Nationality : A candidate must be either :
- A citizen of India, or
- A subject of Nepal, or
- A subject of Bhutan, or
- A Tibetan refugee who came over to Indian before the 1st January, 1962 with the intention of permanently settling in India, or
- A person of Indian origin who has migrated from Pakistan, Burma, Sri Lanka or East African countries of Kenya, Uganda, the United Republic of Tanzania, Zambia, Malawi, Zaire and Ethiopia or from Vietnam with the intention of permanently settling in India.
Provided that a candidate belonging to categories (b), (c), (d) and (e) above shall be a person in whose favour a certificate of eligibility has been issued by the Government of India.A candidate in whose case a certificate of eligibility is necessary, may be admitted to the examination but the offer of appointment may be given only after the necessary eligibility certificate has been issued by the Government of India.
II. Indian Engineering Services Examination 2014 Age Limits
- A candidate for Indian Engineering Services examination must have attained the age of 21 years and must not have attained the age of 30 years on the 1st January, 2014 i.e. he / she must have been born not earlier than 2nd January, 1984 and not later than 1st January, 1993.
- The upper age limit of 30 years will be relaxable upto 35 years in the case of Government servants of the following categories, if they are employed in a Department / Office under the control of any of the authorities mentioned in column 1 below and apply for admission to the examination for all or any of the Service(s) / Post(s) mentioned in column 2, for which they are otherwise eligible.
- A candidate who holds substantively a permanent post in the particular Department / Office concerned. This relaxation will not be admissible to a probationer appointed against a permanent post in the Department / Office during the period of his probation. However this relaxation will be admissible to a probationer so appointed provided he / she already retains a lien on a permanent post in a Department / Office under the control of any of the authorities mentioned in column 1 below.
- A candidate who has been continuously in a temporary service on a regular basis in the particular Department / Office for at least 3 years on the 1st January, 2014.
Column 1 Column 2 Railway Department I.R.S.E.
Central Public Works Department C.E.S.—Group ‘A’ Military Engineers Service Indian Defence Service of Engineers ( IDSE ) Group ‘A’ The Corps of Electronics and Mechanical Engineering, Ministry of Defence AEE, Gr. 'A' ( Mech. Engg. Post ) in the Corps of EME, Min. of Defence.
AEE, Gr. 'A' ( Elecronics & Telecommunication Engg. Post ) in the Corps of EME, Min. of Defence.
Directorate General Ordnance Factories I.O.F.S. Group A Central Water Commission C.W.E. Service ( Group A ) Central Electricity Authority C.P.E Service ( Group 'A' & Group 'B' ) Wireless Planning and Coordination Wing / Monitoring Organisation Engineer, Group 'A' Indian Navy Indian Naval Armament Service, Assistant Naval Stores Officer Grade-I Border Roads Organisation BRES Directorate General of Supply and Disposals I.S.S. Gr. 'A', Department of Telecom P&T Building Works Group 'A' Service ITS Group 'A'; JTO [GCS] Gr 'B' Ministry of Road Transport & Highways Central Engineering Service ( Roads ) Group 'A'
- The upper age limit prescribed above will be further relaxable -
- Upto a maximum of five years if a candidate belongs to a Scheduled Caste or a Scheduled Tribe.
- Upto a maximum of three years in the case of candidates belonging to Other Backward Classes who are eligible to avail of reservation applicable to such candidates. The closing date fixed for the receipt of the application will be treated as the date for determining the OBC status ( including that of creamy layer ) of the candidates.
- Upto a maximum of five years if a candidate had ordinarily been domiciled in the State of Jammu & Kashmir during the period from the 1st January, 1980 to the 31st December, 1989.
- Upto a maximum of three years in the case of Defence Service personnel disabled in operations during hostilities with any foreign country or in a disturbed area, and released as a consequence there of;
- Upto a maximum of five years in the case of ex-servicemen including Commissioned Officers and ECOs / SSCOs who have rendered at least five years Military Service as on 1st January, 2014 and have been released.
- On completion of assignment ( including those whose assignment is due to be completed within one year from 1st January, 2014 ) otherwise than by way of dismissal or discharge on account of misconduct or inefficiency, or
- On account of physical disability attributable to Military Service or
- On invalidment;
- Upto a maximum of five years in the case of ECOs / SSCOs who have completed an initial period of assignment of five years of Military Services as on 1st January, 2014 and whose assignment has been extended beyond five years and in whose case the Ministry of Defence issues a certificate that they can apply for civil employment and they will be released on three months notice on selection from the date of receipt of offer of appointment.
- Upto a maximum of 10 years in the case of deaf-mute and orthopaedically handicapped persons.
Note (I) : Candidates belonging to the Scheduled Castes and the Scheduled Tribes and the Other Backward Classes who are also covered under any other clauses of Para 3 (II)(c) above, viz. those coming under the category of Ex-servicemen, persons domiciled in the State of J & K, deaf-mute and orthopaedically handicapped etc. will be eligible for grant of cumulative age relaxation under both the categories.Note (II) : The term ex-servicemen will apply to the persons who are defined as ex-servicemen in the Ex-servicemen ( Re-employment in Civil Services and Posts ) Rules, 1979, as amended from time to time.
Note (III) : The age concession under Para 3(II)(c)(v) and (vi) will not be admissible to Ex-Servicemen and Commissioned Officers including ECOs / SSCOs, who are released on own request.
Note (IV) : Notwithstanding, the provision of age relaxation under Para 3(II)(c)(vii) above, a physically handicapped candidate will be considered to be eligible for appointment only if he / she ( after such physical examination as the Government or appointing authority, as the case may be, may prescribe ) is found to satisfy the requirement of physical and medical standards for the concerned Services / posts to be allocated to the physically handicapped candidates by the Government.
Note (V) : A candidate will be eligible to get the benefit of community reservation only in case the particular caste to which the candidates belong is included in the list of reserved communities issued by the Central Government. If a candidate indicates in his / her application form for Indian Engineering Services Examination that he / she belongs to General category but subsequently writes to the Union Public Service Commission to change his / her category to a reserved one, such request shall not be entertained by the Union Public Service Commission.
While the above principle will be followed in general, there may be a few cases where there was a little gap ( say 2-3 months ) between the issuance of a Government Notifications enlisting a particular community in the list of any of the reserved communities and the date of submission of the application for IES Exam 2014 by the candidate. In such cases the request of change of community from General to Reserved may be considered by the Union Public Service Commission on merit.
N.B : The candidature of a person who is admitted to the examination for IES 2014 under the age concession mentioned in Para 3(II)(b) above shall be cancelled if, after submitting his IES application he / she resigns from service or his services are terminated by his / her department / office either before or after taking the Indian Engineering Services examination. He / she will, however, continue to be eligible if he / she is retrenched from the service or post after submitting his IES application. A candidate who after submitting his application for IES Exam 2014 to the department is transferred to other department / office will be eligible to compete under departmental age concession.
Save as provided above the age limits for IES Exam 2014 prescribed can in no case be relaxed.
The date of birth accepted by the Union Public Service Commission is that entered in the Matriculation or Secondary School Leaving Certificate or in a certificate recognised by an Indian University as equivalent to matriculation or in an extract from a Register of matriculates maintained by a University, and that extract must be certified by the proper authority of the University or in the Higher Secondary or an equivalent examination certificate. These certificates are required to be submitted along with the detailed applications which will be required to be submitted by the candidates who qualify on the result of the written part of the examination.
No other document relating to age like horoscopes, affidavits, birth extracts from Municipal Corporation, service records and the like will be accepted.
The expression Matriculation / Secondary Examination Certificate in this part of the instruction includes the alternative certificates mentioned above.
Note 1 : Candidates should note that only the date of birth as recorded in the matriculation / secondary examination certificate or an equivalent certificate on the date of submission of application will be accepted by the Union Public Service Commission and no subsequent request for its change will be considered or granted.
Note 2 : Candidates should also note that once a date of birth has been claimed by them and entered in the records of the Union Public Service Commission for the purpose of admission to an examination, no change will be allowed subsequently ( or at any other examination of the Union Public Service Commission ) on any grounds whatsoever.
Note 3 : Candidates should exercise due care while entering their date of birth in the respective column of the application form. If on verification at any subsequent stage, any variation is found in their date of birth from the one entered in their matriculation or equivalent examination certificate, disciplinary action will be taken against them by the Union Public Service Commission under the rules.