Civil Services Preliminary Examination – IAS Exam 2016 Eligibility
Number of Attempts
- For the Indian Administrative Service and the Indian Police Service, a candidate must be a citizen of India.
- For other services, a candidate must be either :
- A citizen of India, or
- A subject of Nepal, or
- A subject of Bhutan, or
- A Tibetan refugee who came over to India before 1st January, 1962 with the intention of permanently settling in India, or
- a person of Indian origin who has migrated from Pakistan, Burma, Sri Lanka, East African countries of Kenya, Uganda, the United Republic of Tanzania, Zambia, Malawi, Zaire, Ethiopia and Vietnam with the intention of permanently settling in India. Provided that a candidate belonging to categories (b), (c), (d) and (e) shall be a person in whose favour a certificate of eligibility has been issued by the Government of India. Provided further that candidates belonging to categories (b), (c) and (d) above will not be eligible for appointment to the Indian Foreign Service. A candidate in whose case a certificate of eligibility is necessary, may be admitted to the Civil Services Preliminary Examination but the offer of appointment may be given only after the necessary eligibility certificate has been issued to him / her by the Government of India.
- A candidate must have attained the age of 21 years and must not have attained the age of 32 years on 1st August, 2016, i.e. he / she must have been born not earlier than 2nd August, 1984 and not later than 1st August, 1995. Necessary action to make corresponding changes in respective rules / regulations pertaining to various services is being taken separately.
- The upper age limit for IAS Preliminary Exam 2016 prescribed above will be relaxable :
- upto a maximum of five years if a candidate belongs to a Scheduled Caste or a Scheduled Tribe.
- upto a maximum of three years in the case of candidates belonging to Other Backward Classes who are eligible to avail of reservation applicable to such candidates.
- upto a maximum of five years if a candidate had ordinarily been domiciled in the State of Jammu & Kashmir during the period from the 1st January, 1980 to the 31st day of December, 1989.
- upto a maximum of three years in the case of Defence Services personnel disabled in operations during hostilities with any foreign country or in a disturbed area and released as a consequence thereof;
- upto a maximum of five years in the case of ex-servicemen including Commissioned Officers and ECOs / SSCOs who have rendered at least five years Military Service as on 1st August, 2016 and have been released.
- on completion of assignment ( including those whose assignment is due to be completed within one year from 1st August, 2016 ) otherwise than by way of dismissal or discharge on account of misconduct or inefficiency, or
- on account of physical disability attributable to Military Service, or
- on invalidment.
- upto a maximum of five years in the case of ECOs / SSCOs who have completed an initial period of assignment of five years Military Service as on 1st August, 2016 and whose assignment has been extended beyond five years and in whose case the Ministry of Defence issues a certificate that they can apply for civil employment and that they will be released on three months notice on selection from the date of receipt of offer of appointment.
- upto a maximum of 10 years in the case of blind, deaf-mute and Orthopaedically handicapped persons.
Note I : Candidates belonging to the Scheduled Castes and the Scheduled Tribes and the Other Backward Classes who are also covered under any other clauses of rule 6(b) above, viz. those coming under the category of Ex-servicemen, persons domiciled in the State of J & K, blind, deaf-mute and orthopaedically handicapped etc. will be eligible for grant of cumulative age-relaxation under both the categories.
Note II : The term ex-servicemen will apply to the persons who are defined as ex-servicemen in the Ex-servicemen ( Re-employment in Civil Services and Posts ) Rules, 1979, as amended from time to time.
Note III : The age concession under para 3(ii) (b) (v) and (vi) will not be admissible to Ex-Servicemen and Commissioned Officers including ECOs / SSCOs who are released on own request.
Note IV : Notwithstanding the provision of age relaxation under rule (b) (vii) above, a physically disabled candidate will be considered to be eligible for appointment only if he / she ( after such physical examination as the Government or appointing authority, as the case may be, may prescribe ) is found to satisfy the requirements of physical and medical standards for the concerned Services / posts to be allocated to the physically disabled candidates by the Government.
Save as provided above the Civil Services age limits prescribed can in no case be relaxed. The date of birth accepted by the Union Public Service Commission is that entered in the Matriculation or Secondary School Leaving Certificate or in a certificate recognised by an Indian University as equivalent to Matriculation or in an extract from a Register of Matriculates maintained by a University, which extract must be certified by the proper authority of the University or in the Higher Secondary or an equivalent examination certificate.
These certificates are required to be submitted only at the time of applying for the Civil Services ( Main ) Examination.
No other document relating to age like horoscopes, affidavits, birth extracts from Municipal Corporation, service records and the like will be accepted.
The expression Matriculation / Secondary Examination Certificate in this part of the instruction includes the alternative certificates mentioned above.
Note 1 : Candidates should note that only the Date of Birth as recorded in the Matriculation / Secondary Examination Certificate or an equivalent certificate on the date of submission of Civil Services applications will be accepted by the Union Public Service Commission and no subsequent request for its change will be considered or granted.
Note 2 : Candidates should also note that once a Date of Birth has been claimed by them and entered in the records of the UPSC Commission for the purpose of admission to Civil Services Preliminary Examination, no change will be allowed subsequently ( or at any other Examination of the Union Public Service Commission ) on any grounds whatsoever.
Note 3 : The candidate should exercise due care while entering their date of birth in the Online application form for the Civil Services Preliminary Examination. If on verification at any subsequent stage, any variation is found in their date of birth from the one entered in their matriculation or equivalent Examination certificate, disciplinary action will be taken against them by the Union Public Service Commission under the Rules.
Minimum Educational Qualifications for IAS Exam 2016 :
The candidate must hold a degree of any of Universities incorporated by an Act of the Central or State Legislature in India or other educational institutions established by an Act of Parliament or declared to be deemed as a University Under Section 3 of the University Grants Commission Act, 1956, or possess an equivalent qualification.
Note I : Candidates who have appeared at an examination the passing of which would render them educationally qualified for the Union Public Services Commission’s Civil Services Preliminary Examination but have not been informed of the results as also the candidates who intend to appear at such a qualifying examination will also be eligible for admission to the Civil Services Preliminary Examination. All candidates who are declared qualified by the Union Public Service Commission for taking the Civil Services ( Main ) Examination will be required to produce proof of passing the requisite examination with their application for the Main Examination failing which such candidates will not be admitted to the Civil Services Main Examination. The applications for the Civil Services Main examination will be called sometime in the month of October / November, 2016.
Note II : In exceptional cases the Union Public Service Commission may treat a candidate who has not any of the foregoing qualifications as a qualified candidate provided that he / she has passed examination conducted by the other Institutions, the standard of which in the opinion of the UPSC Commission justifies his / her admission to the Civil Services Preliminary Examination.
Note III : Candidates possessing professional and technical qualifications which are recognised by Government as equivalent to professional and technical degree would also be eligible for admission to the Civil Services Preliminary Examination.
Note IV :
Candidates who have passed the final professional M.B.B.S. or any other Medical Examination but have not completed their internship by the time of submission of their applications for the Civil Services ( Main ) Examination, will be provisionally admitted to the Civil Services Preliminary Examination 2016 provided they submit along with their application a copy of certificate from the concerned authority of the University / Institution that they had passed the requisite final professional medical examination.
In such cases, the candidates will be required to produce at the time of their interview original Degree or a certificate from the concerned competent authority of the University / Institution that they had completed all requirements ( including completion of internship ) for the award of the Degree.
Number of Attempts for Civil Services Exam 2016 :
a. Every candidate appearing at the Civil Services Examination who is otherwise eligible, shall be permitted six attempts at the Civil Services Preliminary examination. Provided that this restriction on the number of attempts will not apply in the case of Scheduled Caste and Scheduled Tribe candidates who are otherwise eligible.
Provided further that the number of attempts permissible to candidates belonging to Other Backward Classes, who are otherwise eligible, shall be nine. The relaxation will be available to the candidates who are eligible to avail of reservation applicable to such candidates.
Provided further that a Physically handicapped will get as many attempts as are available to other non-physically handicapped candidates of his or her community, subject to the condition that a physically handicapped candidate belonging to the General Category shall be eligible for nine attempts.
Necessary action to make Corresponding Changes in respective Rules / Regulations Pertaining to various services is being taken separately. The Civil Services Exam relaxation will be available to the physically handicapped candidates who are eligible to avail of reservation applicable to such candidates.
- An attempt at a Civil Services Preliminary Examination shall be deemed to be an attempt at the Civil Services Examination.
- If a candidate actually appears in any one paper in the Civil Services Preliminary Examination, he / she shall be deemed to have made an attempt at the IAS Examination.
- Notwithstanding the disqualification / cancellation of candidature, the fact of appearance of the candidate at the examination will count as an attempt.
Restrictions on Applying for the Civil Services Preliminary Examination 2016 : A candidate who is appointed to the Indian Administrative Service or the Indian Foreign Service on the results of an earlier examination and continues to be a member of that service will not be eligible to compete at Civil Services Preliminary Examination 2016. In case such a candidate is appointed to the IAS / IFS after the Civil Services Preliminary Examination, 2016 is over and he / she continues to be a member of that service, he / she shall not be eligible to appear in the Civil Services ( Main ) Examination, 2016 notwithstanding his / her having qualified in the Civil Services Preliminary Exam, 2016.
Also provided that if such a candidate is appointed to IAS / IFS after the commencement of the Civil Services ( Main ) Examination, 2016 but before the result thereof and continues to be a member of that service, he / she shall not be considered for appointment to any service / post on the basis of the result of IAS Preliminary Examination viz. Civil Services Examination, 2016.