West Bengal PSC Judicial Service Examination 2016
The Public Service Commission, West Bengal will hold the West Bengal Judicial Service Examination, 2016 in accordance with the existing rules for recruitment to the posts in West Bengal Judicial Service. The necessary particulars are stated in the following paragraphs. A candidate should verify from the notified rules that he/she is eligible for admission to the examination. The conditions prescribed cannot be relaxed.
West Bengal Public Service Commission Examination will be held in three successive stages, viz.,
- Preliminary Examination ( multiple choice objective type ),
- Final Examination ( Conventional Type – Written ) and
- Personality Test.
West Bengal Public Service Commission Preliminary Examination will be held in Kolkata (Code – 01) and Darjeeling (Code – 02) in 5th June, 2016 or thereabout. Only candidates of the three Hill Sub-divisions, viz., Darjeeling Sadar, Kalimpong and Kurseong will be allowed to appear at Darjeeling Centre. The Final Examination will be held at Kolkata in August, 2016 or there about.
The e-Admit Cards for the examination will be uploaded at the West Bengal Public Service Commission’s website http://www.pscwbonline.gov.in by 24.05.2016 for the convenience of the admitted candidates. The candidates are advised to download their e-Admit Cards for the examination and take a printout thereof on and from 24.05.2016. The admitted candidates shall have to produce the printout of their e-Admit Cards at the allotted venue for appearing at the specified examination. In case the photograph is not visible or available on the e-Admit Cards, candidates are directed to carry identical photographs along with proof of identity such as Madhyamik or equivalent examination pass certificate / admit card which bears photograph of its rightful owner or Passport or pan Card or UID No. Card ( Aadhaar ) or EPIC ( Voter Identity Card ) or Driving Licence and the printout of e-Admit Card at the venue of the Examination.
No paper Admit Card will be issued for this examination by the Commission and no such card will be sent to the candidates by post or will be available from the Commission’s office. The candidates are also advised to take a printout of the e-Admit Card well in advance to avoid last minute rush. In case of any discrepancy in the e-Admit Card the same may be communicated to the Commission immediately to enable the Commission to take a decision in the matter. Candidates are also advised to bring Black Ball Point Pen to the examination hall.
WBPSC Scale of Pay : 27,700-770-33090-920-40450-1080-44770/-. Allowances will also be admissible as per Government orders in force.
- Vacancy : Clear : 2 [ PWD – 01 (VH) + 01 (HI) ]
- Anticipated : 32 [ Unreserved – 21, SC – 03, ST – 2, OBC Category A – 3, OBC Category B – 2, PWD – 1 (OH) ].
N.B. : All appointments will initially be made on a temporary basis.
Qualification for West Bengal PSC Exam 2016 :
- A citizen of India or such a person of other nationality as declared eligible by Government of India;
- A degree in Law from any University or Institution affiliated to any University recognized by the State Government or the Central Government;
- Enrollment as an advocate in the roll of Bar Council of any State or Union Territory in India on the date of advertisement for the examination;
- Ability to read, write and speak in Bengali ( not required for those candidates whose mother tongue is Nepali ) – vide Finance Department’s Notification No.1243-F(P) dated 02nd March, 2016.
WBPSC Age Limit : Not less than 23 years and not more than 35 years on the date of advertisement for the examination on 09th April, 2016 ( i.e. born not earlier than 10.04.1981 and not later than 09.04.1993 ). Upper age limit is relaxable by 5 years for SC and ST candidates of West Bengal, by 3 years for BC candidates of West Bengal and upto 45 years of age for Persons with Disabilities having physical disability of 40% and above and by 2 years for candidates who have been in Government service for at least two years.
Caution : As per clause 49 of the Advocates Act, 1961 “an advocate shall not be a full time salaried employee of any person, Government, firm, corporation or concern, so long as he continues to practise and shall, on taking up any such employment, intimate the fact to the Bar Council on whose roll his name appears and shall thereupon cease to practise as an advocate so long as he continues in such employment”.
“The ‘employment’ spoken of by rule 49 does not cover the employment of an advocate who had been solely or in any case predominantly employed to act and/or plead on behalf of his client in Courts of Law”. [ Dipak Agarwal – Vs – Keshab Koushik (2013) 5SCC277 ]
- The claim of a candidate for relaxation of age as a Government employee should be proved by a certificate from the appointing authority showing the period of his/her continuous service under Government and the same should be produced on demand.
- Age as recorded in Madhyamik or equivalent certificate will only be accepted.
- Persons suffering from blindness or cerebral palsy have been exempted from the purview of reservation as contemplated under section 33 of Persons with Disabilities ( Equal opportunities, Protection of Rights and Full Participation ) Act, 1995.
- Candidates suffering from blindness or Low Vision will be allowed the help of a scribe, if required. The Commission, however, will not provide scribe for such candidates. Scribe will have to be arranged by candidates themselves.
- Candidates suffering from blindness or low vision, candidates with locomotor disability / cerebral palsy will be allowed compensatory time of 20 minutes per hour.
Chance Limit : No candidate other than the candidates belonging to SC/ST/BC of West Bengal shall be allowed to appear in the examination for more than three times. The candidates belonging to SC/ST/BC of West Bengal shall not be allowed to appear in the examination for more than five times.
West Bengal PSC Examination Fee : 210/- (Rupees two hundred ten) only + Service Charge 1% of Examination Fee subject to a minimum of 5/- (Rupees Five) only for online payment through debit/credit card plus 12.36% of service charge as Government Duty or Service Charge of 5/- (Rupees Five) only for Net Banking or Service Charge of 20/- (Rupees Twenty) only for payment through Bank Counter (offline payment).
SC/ST candidates of West Bengal and Persons with disabilities (PWD) having physical disability of 40% and above are not required to pay any fee. BC candidates of West Bengal are, however, required to pay usual fee as aforesaid.
No Exemption of Fee is available to SC/ST/BC Candidates of Other States. No claim for refund of the fee will be entertained nor will it be held in reserve for any other examination.
WBPSC Judicial Service Exam Application : Applications can be submitted through online only.
How to Apply Online for West Bengal Judicial Service Exam 2016 : Candidates have to first go for “One Time Registration” ( link available on top of the left panel in home page of the website www.pscwbonline.gov.in and fill up all the required data and uploading scanned photo and signature to get User ID and Password.
The process of one time registration is mentioned in details in right panel of the home page of the website www.pscwbonline.gov.in, in “Instruction to Candidate” link under Candidate’s Corner. However, those candidates who have earlier registered themselves with PSC, West Bengal need not to do registration again. They can use their previous User Id and Password for login into their respective Dashboards.
With the User ID and Password, as provided to the candidate, they need to login to their Dashboard through the link “Login to your Account” which is available in right panel of the home page of the website under Candidate’s Corner.
Candidates who forget their password can reset the password for which the link is available in the Candidate’s Login Page which can be opened through the link “Login to your Account”. For resetting the password, click on the “Reset Your Password” link. Then after, candidates have to provide User ID, Mother’s Maiden Surname, Last School Attended and Grandfather’s Name. Mother’s Maiden Surname, Last School Attended and Grandfather’s Name should match exactly the one given during One Time Registration. If all the data matches correctly, candidates will get the new password. Candidates are advised to note down the new password for future reference.
After login into the Dashboard, candidates will find the name of the Examination with Apply Now link. Click on the link and the application form will be opened.
Candidates are advised to read thoroughly and cautiously the documents available in the link Information to Candidates and Scheme and Syllabus present in the top of the application form before filling the application. Application once submitted shall be treated as final. No request for change in application form will be entertained after the submission of application. The candidates are advised to check the entries made against each column thoroughly before submission of application.
The Photo and Signature of the candidate, as uploaded by them during One Time Registration, are displayed. Candidate may change the photo and/or signature, if required, by clicking the respective Edit Button/s.
Following is the procedure for filling up the West Bengal Judicial Service Exam 2016 Application Form :
1. West Bengal PSC Personal Details
- User ID – Data preloaded from One Time Registration. Not editable.
- Name – First Name, Middle Name, Last Name – Data preloaded from One Time Registration. Not editable.
- Candidate’s Date of Birth – Data preloaded from One Time Registration. Not editable.
- Do you have the ability to read, write and speak in Bengali – Candidates have to select the value from drop down list.
- State your mother tongue – Candidates have to write their mother tongue.
- Note : “Provided that the said compulsory requirement of knowledge in Bengali including the ability to read, write and speak in Bengali, for recruitment to any post or Service under the State Government, shall not be applicable to those candidates whose mother tongue is Nepali.” – vide Finance Department’s Notification No.1243-F(P) dated 02.03.2016.
- Place of Birth – State, District, Place – Data preloaded from One Time Registration. Not editable.
- Father’s Name, Gender, EPIC No. (Optional), Caste Category – Data preloaded from One Time Registration. Not editable.
- Mention Your Sub Caste, State, Issuing Authority – If the candidates are of SC/ST/BC-A/BC-B category, then they have to write their Sub Caste, select the State of Issuing Caste Certificate and have to write Issuing Authority. This is mandatory for candidates of SC/ST/BC-A/BC-B category.
- Whether you are a person with disability – By default the selected option is No. If the candidates are Handicapped in nature, then they have to select the Yes option.
- If the disability option is Yes, candidates have to State the category of disability viz., Low Vision, Hearing Impairment and Orthopaedically Handicapped / Locotomor Disability as applicable.
- If the nature of disability is Low Vision, then candidates have to mention whether they need the help of a scribe. By default, the selected option is No.
2. West Bengal PSC Contact Details
a. Permanent Address
- Address Line 1 – Data preloaded from One Time Registration. Not editable.
- Address Line 2 – Data preloaded from One Time Registration, if available. Not editable.
- State – Data preloaded from One Time Registration. Not editable.
- District – Data preloaded from One Time Registration. Not editable.
- Police Station – Data preloaded from One Time Registration. Not editable.
- Post Office – Data preloaded from One Time Registration. Not editable.
- Pin Code – Data preloaded from One Time Registration. Not editable.
b. Present Address ( Address of Communication ) – If the Present Address is as same as the Permanent Address, the candidates have to select the Yes option. Then the entire Permanent Address field value will be copied in the respective fields of Present Address.
c. Mobile No (Optional) – Data preloaded from One Time Registration.
d. Email (optional) – Data preloaded from One Time Registration.
e. Whether a Citizen of India – Data preloaded from One Time Registration. Not editable.
f. Whether a natural Citizen or Citizen by registration – Candidate has to select the value from drop down list.
3. West Bengal PSC Qualification Details
a. Educational Qualification – Candidates have to provide the details of their educational qualifications in the respective columns available in this section.
b. West Bengal PSC Professional Qualification
- Specialized Field of Qualification (Optional) – Data preloaded from One Time Registration. Not editable.
- Additional Qualification (Optional) – Data preloaded from One Time Registration. Not editable.
- Professional Experience (optional) – Data preloaded from One Time Registration. Not editable.
c. If candidates have any time been employed, they have to give the details in the respective columns in chronological order, starting from the present job.
4. West Bengal PSC Judicial Service Examination Details
- Choice of Centre for Preliminary Examination – Candidates have to select the Centre Name from the drop down list.
- Select Language in Compulsory Paper–II Candidates have to select the Compulsory Paper from drop down list.
- Select Three Optional Subjects – Candidates have to select three Optional Subjects from the drop down list.
- If the candidate is presently engaged in any Government / Government Undertaking / PSU / Constitutional / Statutory / Autonomous body, then they have to accept the declaration that they have informed their head office in writing that they are applying for the examination. Otherwise this option can be left untouched.
- Lastly candidates have to accept the declaration that they have provided correct information. This section is mandatory.
- Finally candidates have to click on the Submit button.
5. SC, ST Candidates of West Bengal and PWD Candidates ( Handicapped Candidates ) of any State are exempted from paying fees. Their application submission status will be completed soon after submission. For rest of the candidates, they will be forwarded to Payment Module, where they need to pay the required Examination Fees with Service Charge and/or Service Tax as applicable to complete the application submission process.
6. There are two payment methodologies – Online Payment and Offline Payment.
7. In Offline Payment Mode, Candidates will get a Challan of United Bank of India (UBI) in their dashboard. On selecting the Offline Payment mode, candidates will be forwarded to their respective Dashboard from where they have to download the Challan by clicking the Challan button. Candidates can go to nearest UBI next working day 11:00 AM onwards and within closing hours of the bank to deposit the requisite fees. Initially, the application submission status in the dashboard of the candidate will be shown as Submitted. After depositing the fees in the bank, on next working day or two, candidate will find their application submitted status as Completed.
8. In Online Payment mode, there will be three options of payment, viz., Credit Card, Debit Card and Net Banking. Soon after selecting the Online Payment option, candidates will be forwarded to Payment Gateway for making the payment. After successfully making the payment, candidates will be redirected to their respective Dashboard, where they will find their application submission status as Completed.
9. In case, the payment process failed due to any technical snag, candidate will get the option to try for payment again either in Online Mode or Offline Mode. However, in Offline Mode, Challan can be generated only once.
10. Candidates can also download their Application Form (in PDF format) by clicking the Application Button in their Dashboard.
11. Word of Caution :
- Don’t close the website directly from your dashboard ( after login ) without Log Out. In case of illegal shut down, Candidate’s dashboard will be locked for unspecified period.
- During payment process, candidates are advised not to close the browser or press Back Button. This may severely hamper the payment process.
Particulars and Certificates Required :
(a) A candidate claiming to be S.C., S.T., B.C. or Persons with Disabilities ( 40% and above ) must have a certificate in support of his / her claim from a competent authority of West Bengal as specified below :
For S.C., S.T. & B.C. Candidates :
- In the district, the Sub-Divisional Officer of the Sub-Division concerned, and
- In Kolkata, the District Magistrate, South 24-Parganas or such Additional District Magistrate, South 24-Parganas, as may be authorized by the District Magistrate, South 24-Parganas, in this behalf and the District Welfare Officer, Kolkata and Ex-officio Joint Director, Backward Classes Welfare. [ vide the W.B.S.Cs. & S.Ts. (Identification) Act, 1994 and S.C. & S.T. Welfare Deptt. Order No. 261-TW/EC/MR-103/94 dated 6.4.95 read with B.C.W. Deptt. Order No.6320-BCH/MR-84/10, dated 24.09.2010 and No.2420-BCW/MR-61/2012 (Pt.), dated 12.07.2013 ]
For Persons with Disabilities ( PWD ) :
- A Medical Board constituted at Government Medical College Hospitals in Kolkata, District Hospitals and Subdivisional Hospitals. [ vide West Bengal Persons with Disabilities (Equal Opportunities, Protection of Rights and Full Participation ) Rules, 1999]
(b) The Public Service Commission may require such further proof or particulars from the candidates as it may consider necessary and may make enquiries about their character and other particulars regarding suitability and eligibility.
N.B. : The Judicial Department, Government of West Bengal issued a Notification bearing No.386-J dated 24.01.2007 exempting the persons suffering from blindness and cerebral palsy from the purview of reservation in terms of proviso to Sec. 33 of the Persons with Disabilities ( Equal Opportunities, Protection of Rights and Full Participation ) Act, 1995.
The said Notification dated 24.01.2007 is reproduced below :
- The candidates must abide by the instructions as may be given by Supervisors / Invigilators of the Examination. If the candidate fails to do so or indulges in disorderly or improper conduct, he/she will render himself / herself liable to expulsion from the Examination Hall and / or such other punishment as the Commission may deem fit to impose.
- A candidate who has been reported against by the Supervisor of the Examination Centre for violating any of the instructions will be punished with cancellation of candidature and also debarment from future examinations and selections as may be decided by the Commission according to the circumstances of the case.
- If at any stage even after issue of the letter of appointment, a candidate is found ineligible in terms of advertisement his/her candidature will be cancelled without further reference to him/her.
- The conditions prescribed cannot be relaxed in any case other than those mentioned in this Information to Candidates.
- A candidate should note that his/her admission to the examination will be deemed provisional subject to determination of his/her eligibility in all respects. If at any stage after issue of the admit card a candidate is found ineligible for admission for this examination, his/her candidature will be cancelled without further reference to him/her. No candidate shall be allowed to take the examination unless he/she holds an admit card.
- Candidates are not allowed to carry mobile phones or any other gadget of communication inside the examination halls. This instruction must be strictly enforced.
- There will be arrangements for frisking of the candidates at entry points of venues–separately for male and female candidates so that candidates with mobile phones may not enter the venue.
Medical Examination : Candidates who will be selected for appointment will be required to appear before a Medical Board for certificates of their fitness for Government service in the form prescribed for the purpose.
Canvassing : Any attempt on the part of a candidate to enlist support for his/her application through persons, officials of Government, or agencies will disqualify him/her for appointment. Spontaneous recommendations from persons interested in the candidates, or otherwise known to them, will be disregarded and will render the candidates ineligible.
Results of the Examination : The names of the candidates called to Personality Test and those recommended for appointment will be published provisionally subject to determination of eligibility of the candidates in all respects and verification of original certificates etc. If at any stage of such verification any candidate is found ineligible, his / her candidature / allotment will be cancelled.
- Commencement of submission of online application : The 11th April, 2016 from 11:30 A.M.
- Closing date for submission of online application : The 2nd May, 2016( upto 12-00 midnight )
- Closing date for submission of fees through online : The 2nd May, 2016 (upto 12-00 midnight)
- Closing date for submission of fees through offline : The 3rd May, 2016.
* However, the Challan must be generated by the 2nd May, 2016 positively.
West Bengal Judicial Service Exam Scheme and Syllabus 2016
West Bengal Judicial Service Preliminary Examination 2016 : The Judicial Service Preliminary Examination for WBPSC will consist of one paper of Objective Type containing 200 Multiple Choice Questions. The paper will carry 200 marks and will be of 2 ½ hours’ duration.
The Standard of the paper will be of the level of knowledge as expected of a graduate in Law of a recognized University. The paper will include questions covering the following fields of knowledge :
|1. English Composition||30 marks|
|2. General Knowledge, Current Affairs and Test of Reasoning||40 marks|
|3. Indian Constitution||20 marks|
|4. Law of Contracts and Torts||20 marks|
|5. Laws of Evidence||20 marks|
|6. Civil Procedure Codes||20 marks|
|7. Criminal Procedure Code and Indian Penal Code||20 marks|
|8. Personal Law||10 marks|
|9. Law of Limitation||20 marks|
Syllabus for West Bengal Judicial Service Preliminary Examination 2016 : Questions on English Composition will cover synonyms, antonyms, idioms and phrases, vocabulary test, phrasal verbs, the same words bearing more than one meaning, use of appropriate and qualifying words etc.
West Bengal Judicial Service Final Examination 2016 : The Final Examination for WB Judicial Service 2015 will consist of eight compulsory papers and three papers on optional subjects to be chosen by the candidates from the list of Optional Subjects. Each compulsory and Optional paper will carry 100 marks and will be of three hours duration.
Compulsory Papers :
1. English Composition, essay, precis writing;
2. Bengali / Hindi / Urdu / Nepali / Santali composition, essay and translation from English into Bengali / Hindi / Urdu / Nepali / Santali;
3. General Knowledge and Current Affairs;
4. Civil procedure Code;
5. Criminal Procedure Code and Indian Penal Code;
6. Indian Evidence Act;
7. Law of Contracts and Torts and
8. Transfer of Property Act.
Optional Papers ( any three to be chosen ) :
1. Hindu Law;
2. Muhammadan Law;
3. Jurisprudence and principles of legislation;
4. Indian Law relating to Companies and Insurance;
5. Principles of Equity including the Law of Trusts and Specific Relief;
6. Partnership Act;
7. Law of Limitation and Law of Prescription;
8. The Indian Constitution and Constitutional Law.
The standard of examination in the Law papers ( Compulsory and Optional ) will be that of the LL.B. Degree of the Calcutta University. All answers must be written either in English or in Bengali ( unless otherwise directed in the question papers ) except in the language papers.
West Bengal PSC Personality Test : 100 Marks.
The West Bengal Judicial Service The Preliminary Examination is meant to serve as a screening test only for the purpose of selection of candidates for the Final Examination. The marks obtained by the candidates in the Preliminary Examination will not be counted for the purpose of determining the final merit list. The Final merit list will be prepared on the basis of total marks obtained in the Final Examination and the Personality Test. There shall be no separate qualifying marks for any individual paper or for the Personality Test. The Commission shall have discretion to fix qualifying marks in the aggregate.
In all the answer papers of the Final Examination due credit will be given for proper economy of words combined with clarity and effectiveness of expression and originality of approach.
Deduction of Marks : A deduction of 10% of full marks may be made from the total marks secured by a candidate in a particular paper if he/she discloses his/her identity by writing his/her name, roll number or ticket number or by putting any identifying marks inside the Answer Script of that paper.