UPSC Age Limit 2016 :
a) Candidates are requested to apply only Online against UPSC advertisement on the Online Recruitment Application (ORA) website http://www.upsconline.nic.in and not write to the Union Public Service Commission for Application forms. They are also requested to go through carefully the details of UPSC posts and instructions on the website http://www.upsconline.nic.in.
b) *The age limit shown against Translator (Dari/Persian) ( * for 01 post reserved for SC candidates ) is relaxed age limit for SC candidates. *The age limit shown against all item is the normal age limit and the age is relaxable for SC/ST candidates upto 5 years and upto 3 years for OBC candidates in respect of vacancies reserved for them. SC/ST/OBC Candidates have to produce a caste certificate in prescribed proforma. For age concession applicable to other categories of applicants please see relevant paras of the “Instructions and Additional Information to Candidates for Recruitment by Selection.”
c) A candidate will be eligible to get the benefit of community reservation only in case the particular caste to which the candidates belong is included in the list of reserved communities issued by the Central Government. If a candidate indicates in his/her application form that he/she belongs to SC/ST/OBC/General category but subsequently writes to the Commission to change his/her category, such request shall not be entertained by the Union Public Service Commission.
d) Physically Handicapped (PH) Persons or Persons with disabilities, as indicated against various item(s) in the Vacancy Details, can apply to the respective posts even if the post is not reserved for them but has been identified as Suitable. However, such candidates will be considered for selection to such post by general standard of merit. Persons suffering from not less than 40% of relevant disability shall alone be eligible for the benefit of reservation and other relaxations as permissible under the rules. Thus, Physically Handicapped (PH) persons can avail benefit of :
- Reservation and other Concessions & Relaxations as permissible under the rules only when degree of physical disability is 40% or more and the posts are reserved for PH candidates.
- Other Concessions & Relaxations as permissible under the rules only when degree of physical disability is 40% or more and the posts are suitable for PH candidates.
- In regard to the Medical posts pertaining to the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare and Specialists Grade III Assistant Professors (CTVS), Specialists Grade III Assistant Professors (Cardiology), Specialists Grade III Assistant Professors (Nephrology), Specialists Grade III Assistant Professors (Neuro Surgery), Specialists Grade III Assistant Professors (Neurology), Specialists Grade III Assistant Professors (Radio-Diagnosis), the percentage of the disability / disabilities for the posts identified as being suitable to be manned by persons with disability / disabilities, has been defined as not less than 40% and not more than 70%.
e) Headquarters : At places specifically stated against certain posts, otherwise anywhere in India.
f) Probation : The persons selected will be appointed on probation as per rule.
Instructions and Additional Information to Candidates for Recruitment by Selection
1. Citizenship :
A Candidate must be either :
- a citizen of India, or
- a subject of Nepal, or
- a subject of Bhutan, or
- a Tibetan refugee who came over to India before 1st January, 1962 with the intention of permanently settling in India, or
- a person of Indian origin who has migrated from Pakistan, Burma, Srilanka or East African countries of Kenya, Uganda, the United Republic of Tanzania ( formerly Tanganyika and Zanzibar ), Zambia, Malawi, Zaire, Ethiopia and Vietnam with the intention of permanently settling in India. Provided that a candidate belonging to categories (b), (c), (d) and (e) above shall be a person in whose favour a certificate of eligibility has been issued by the Government of India.
Note : The application of a candidate in whose case a certificate of eligibility is necessary, may be considered by the Commission and, if recommended for appointment, the candidate may also be provisionally appointed subject to the necessary certificate being issued in his favour by the Government of India.
2. UPSC Age Limits : The age limit for the post has been given in the advertisement. For certain age concessions admissible to various categories please go through the instruction regarding Concessions & Relaxations.
3. Minimum Essential Qualifications for UPSC Recruitment 2016 : All applicants must fulfill the essential requirements of the post and other conditions stipulated in the advertisement. They are advised to satisfy themselves before applying that they possess at least the essential qualifications laid down for various posts. No enquiry asking for advice as to eligibility will be entertained.
Note I : The prescribed essential qualifications are the minimum and the mere possession of the same does not entitle candidates to be called for UPSC interview.
Note II : In the event of Number of Applications being Large, Commission will adopt short listing Criteria to Restrict the Number of Candidates to be called for Interview to a Reasonable Number by any or more of the Following Methods :
- “On the basis of Desirable Qualification (DQ) or any one or all of the DQs if more than one DQ is prescribed”
- On the basis of higher educational qualifications than the minimum prescribed in the advertisement
- On the basis of higher experience in the relevant field than the minimum prescribed in the advertisement
- By counting experience before or after the acquisition of essential qualifications
- By holding a Recruitment Test.
The Candidate should, therefore, Mention all his/her Qualifications and Experience in the relevant field over and above the Minimum Qualifications.
Note III :
- The category-wise minimum level of suitability in interviews, irrespective of whether the selection is made only by interview or by Recruitment Test followed by interview, will be UR – 50 marks, OBC – 45 marks, SC/ST/PH – 40 marks, out of the total marks of interview being 100.
- In cases where selection is made by Recruitment Test (RT) followed by interview, the candidate will have to achieve minimum level of suitability in their respective category at both stages i.e. ‘Recruitment Test’ as well as ‘Interview’. The minimum level of suitability in case of RT shall be decided by the UPSC Commission on case to case basis.
UPSC Age Relaxation 2016 :
Concessions & Relaxations for UPSC Recruitment 2016 :
a. The Upper Age Limit in case of Ex-Servicemen and Commissioned Officers including ECOs/SSCOs shall be relaxed by five years subject to the condition that on the Closing Date for receipt of UPSC Applications the continuous service rendered in the Armed Forces by an Ex-Serviceman is not less than six months after attestation. This relaxation is also available to ECOs/SSCOs who have completed their initial period of assignment of five years of Military Service and whose assignment has been extended beyond five years as on Closing Date and in whose case the Ministry of Defence issues certificates that they will be released within 3 months on selection from the date of receipt of offer of appointment. Candidates claiming age relaxation under this para would be required to produce a certificate in the prescribed proforma to the UPSC Commission.
Note : Ex-Servicemen who have already secured regular employment under the Central Govt. in a Civil Post are permitted the benefit of age relaxation as admissible for Ex-Servicemen for securing another employment in any higher post or service under the Central Govt. However, such candidates will not be eligible for the benefit of reservation, if any for Ex-Servicemen in Central Govt. jobs.
b. In order to qualify for the concession under (a) above, candidates concerned would be required to produce a certificate that they have been released from the Defence Forces. The certificate for Ex-Servicemen and UPSC Commissioned Officers including ECOs/SSCOs should be signed by the appropriate authorities specified below and should also specify the period of service in the Defence Forces :
- In case of Commissioned Officers including ECOs/SSCOs :
Army : Directorate of Personnel Service, Army Headquarters, New Delhi.
Navy : Directorate of Personnel Services Naval Headquarters, New Delhi.
Air Force : Directorate of Personnel Services, Air Headquarters, New Delhi.
- In case of JCOs/ORs and equivalent of the Navy and Air Forces :Army : By various Regimental Record Offices.
Navy : Naval Records, Bombay
Air Force : Air Force Records, New Delhi.
UPSC Age Relaxation for Central Government Employees 2016 :
The Upper Age Limit is relaxable for Central/U.T. Govt. Servants up to 5 years as per instructions issued by the Govt. of India from time to time. (10 years for persons belonging to Scheduled Castes/Scheduled Tribes and 8 years for persons belonging to other Backward Classes in respect of the posts reserved for them) in accordance with the instructions or orders issued by the Government of India. A candidate claiming to belong to the category of Central Government servant and thus seeking age relaxation under this para would be required to produce a Certificate in the prescribed proforma issued after the date of advertisement from his/her Employer on the Office letter head to the effect that he/she is a regularly appointed Central Government Servant and not on casual/adhoc/daily wages/hourly paid/contract basis employee.
The Age Relaxation will be admissible to such of the Government servants as are working in posts which are in the same line or allied cadres and where a relationship could be established that the service already rendered in a particular post will be useful for the efficient discharge of the duties of the post(s) recruitment to which has been advertised. Decision in this regard will rest with the UPSC Commission.
Age Relaxation to persons who had ordinarily been domiciled in the State of J&K during the period from 1st, January 1980 to 31st, December 1989 :
The Relaxation in Upper Age Limit of 5 years shall be admissible to all persons who had ordinarily been domiciled in the State of J&K during the period from 1st, January 1980 to 31st, December 1989. The persons claiming Relaxation under this sub-para would be required to produce a certificate to this effect from the District Magistrate within whose jurisdiction they had ordinarily resided or from any other authority designated in this behalf by the Government of Jammu and Kashmir. This Relaxation shall remain in force upto 31st, December 2017.
UPSC Age Relaxation to Physically Handicapped (PH) Persons 2016 :
- Age Relaxation of 10 years (15 years for SC/ST candidates and 13 years for OBC candidates) in Upper Age Limit shall be allowed to persons suffering from
- blindness or low vision,
- hearing impairment and
- locomotor disability or cerebral palsy,
In case of UPSC Direct Recruitment to all civil posts/services under the Central Government identified suitable to be held by persons with such disabilities, subject to the condition that maximum age of the applicant on the closing date shall not exceed 56 years. The Age Concession to the persons with disabilities shall be admissible irrespective of whether the post is reserved for persons with disabilities or not, provided the post is identified suitable for the relevant category of disability.
- Relaxation of Age Limit would be permissible to such persons who have a minimum of 40% disability.
- If a person with disability is entitled to Age Concession by virtue of being a Central Government employee, concession to him/her will be admissible either as a ‘Person with Disability’ or as a ‘Central Government Employee’ whichever may be more beneficial to him/her.
- The above provisions will not be applicable to a post/service for which other specific provision regarding age relaxation is made by notification.
- The definition of different categories of disabilities, for the purpose of Age Relaxation, will be same as given in DoP&T’s OM No. 36035/3/2004-Estt (Reservation) dated 29th, December 2005.