Service Selection Board – SSB Interview Procedure
5 Day Programs :
The candidates are called through “Call Letters” to appear in 5 days Tests at SSB ( Allahabad / Bhopal / Bangalore / Mysore / Varanasi / Dehradun ).
4 Categories of SSB Tests :
- Screening Test
- Psychological Test
- Group Testing Officers ( GTO ) Test
1. Screening Test ( First Day )
Stage one selection system includes the following :
- Intelligence Test ( Verbal and Non-Verbal Tests ).
- Picture Perception and Description Test ( PDPT ) : Picture is flashed for 30 Seconds. The candidate have to broadly note down seven basic parameters viz number of characters, age, sex, mood, action relating to past, present and future for each character in one minute. Time for Story writing is four minutes.
- Discussion of the Picture – 30 Minutes : In this phase batch is divided into different groups. Strength of group is around 15 candidates. Each candidate narrates his individual written story verbatim. Subsequently, in Part – II all the candidates have to come to discuss amongst themselves and achieve a common consensus about the characters and theme of the story. Once all candidates have undergone this stage the results for stage one testing are declared. Successful candidates are retained for stage – II testing and the balance are asked to leave after a short brief on general shortcomings.
Once the Screening Test is over, the results are declared within 1 hour of the completion of the test. Those who clear the test are required to stay back for the next 4 days and the remaining persons are dropped back at the Railway Station for their return journey.
2. Psychological Test ( Second Day )
These tests are in four parts as under :
- Thematic Apperception Test ( TAT ) : 12 Pictures including one blank are shown for 30 sec each. Candidates are asked to write a story around what led to the situation? What is going on and what would be the outcome? Each picture is shown for 30 seconds and they are asked to write it in 4 minutes. In the blank slide, they have to think a picture of their own choice and to write a story around that.
- Word Association Test ( WAT ) : In this test, a series of 60 words are shown to the candidates one after another for 15 seconds each. The candidate is required to write down the first thought or idea comes to his mind.
- Situation Reaction Test ( SRT ) : This test consists of 60 routine life situations regarding day to day activities. The situations are printed in a booklet and the candidate is asked to write his reactions by completing the sentences, as to how they would feel, think and act up these situations.
- Self Description Test ( SD ) : Candidate is asked to write five separate paragraphs on each context about the opinion of his parents / guardian, friends, teachers / superiors.
3. Group Testing Officers ( GTO ) Test ( Third day )
The following tests are conducted in this category :
- Group Discussion : Two topics of common interest ( social issues and current events ) are discussed. It is an informal discussion and not a debate. Each topic is allotted 20 minutes each. No definite conclusion is required to be deduced.
- Group Planning Exercise ( sometimes known as Military Planning Exercise ) : It comprises of five stages viz, explanation of the model, reading of the narrative by GTO, five minutes for self reading by candidates, 10 minutes for individual written solutions and 20 minutes for group discussion. Narration of the group solution and definite conclusion is required.
- Progressive Group Tasks : It is the first outdoor task. A set of four obstacles with progressively increasing level of difficulties are to be completed in 40 to 50 minutes. Structures, helping material and load are provided to the group.
- Group Obstacles Race : In this task the group is pitched against each other over a set of six obstacles with a snake like load to carry.
- Half Group Tasks : It has one obstacle similar to progressive group task with helping material and load to be carried. Group is divided into two Sub Groups and assigned the same obstacle in turn in such a way that when one group is working, the other is not allowed to watch it. Time allotted to each sub group is 15 minutes.
- Lecturette : It is an individual task and the candidate is required to give a short talk to the group. Three minutes are allowed to prepare any chosen topic from the four given in the Lecturette Cards for the talk.
Group Testing Officers ( GTO ) Test ( Fourth day )
- Individual Obstacles : A set of 10 obstacles is set to be tackled individually. Obstacles are numbered from one to ten, denoting the points each one carries. Each individual will be given three minutes.
- Command Task : Each individual is nominated as commander for one task consisting of one obstacle similar to the Progressive Group Task Time given is 15 minutes.
- Final Group Task : Task consisting of one obstacle similar to the progressive group task. Time given to complete this task is 15 – 20 minutes.
4. Interview ( Day 2 – 4 ): ( Held during afternoon / evening hours on 2nd / 3rd / 4th day )
Personal interview conducted by Interviewing Officer ( IO ).
Note : Brief details of these tests will be covered subsequently.
Board Meeting ( Fifth day )
The candidates are required to appear before the complete Board of Examiners comprising of President, Dy President, all the psychologists, all the GTO’s and Technical Officer. After the Board Meeting is over, the final result is declared within ½ an hour.
Selected candidates are required to stay back for their medical examination ( takes about 3 to 5 days ) in the Military Hospital nearby or at a different place and the remaining candidates are dropped at the Railway Station for their return journey.
- Candidates appearing for the first time for a particular type of entry are paid 2nd class return journey fare from the place of their residence to the place where they have come for the interview.
- Accomodation and messing are free for the entire duration of their stay while under going SSB Tests.
- The Air Force candidates are required to go to a different place for medical examination on the specified date.
- Air Force candidates who had applied for ‘Pilot Entry’ have to first appear in ‘Pilot Aptitude Battery Test ( PABT )’. Those who are rejected in P.A.B.T cannot re-appear in Service Selection Board test subsequently.