Indian Navy – Sailors Senior Secondary ( SSR ) 2008 :: Indian Navy – Sailors Senior Secondary ( SSR ) 2008 Selection Process
Invites Applications from Unmarried Male Candidates for Enrolment as Sailors for Sailor – Senior Secondary Recruits ( SSR )-1/2008 Batch
Eligibility Conditions :
Applications are invited from unmarried Male Indian Citizen.
Educational Qualifications :
10+2 / equivalent qualified with compulsory subjects Maths and Physics; optional subjects Chemistery / Biology / Computers.
Age : Candidates should have been born between 01 Feb 1987 to 31 Jan 1991 ( Both dates inclusive ).
Pay and Requisites :
Pay & Allowances :
- During the initial training period approximate emoluments will be 4500/- pm.
- On completion of initial training, the approximate emoluments at present rate depending on rank and number of years of service will be 5300/- to 16,000/- pm.
Promotion prospects exist up to the rank of Master Chief Petty Officer-I ( equivalent to Subedar Major ). Opportunities for promotion to commissioned officer also exist for those who perform well and qualify the prescribed examinations.
- During the entire period of training and thereafter, sailors are given books, reading material, uniform, food and accommodation etc. free of cost.
- Sailors are entitled to medical treatment and Leave Travel Concession for self and dependents, Group Housing Benefits and other privileges. Insurance cover of 750,000/- is at nominal premium of 750/- per month. Sailors also have the privilege to avail up to 60 days Annual and 30 days Casual Leave and one free railway warrant every year. Post retirement benefits include pension, gratuity and Leave encashment. Children education and house rent allowances are also admissible.
Selection Criteria :
Selection of recruits is based on the order of merit depending on their performance in Written Test, Physical Fitness Test ( PFT ) and fitness in the Medical Examinations.
Written Test :
- The question paper will be bilingual ( Hindi & English ) and objective type.
- The question paper will comprise of four sections i.e. English, Science, Mathematics and General Knowledge.
- The standard of the question paper will be that of 10+2.
- Duration of question paper will be of one hour.
- The candidates are required to pass in all sections and in aggregate.
Physical Fitness Test ( PFT ) :
PFT will consist of 1.6 Km run to be completed in 7 minutes, 25 squat ups ( Uthak Baithak ) and 10 Push-ups. Candidates undergoing PFT will do so at their own risk.
Medical Standards :
- Medical examination will be conducted by authorised military doctors as per medical standard prescribed in current regulations applicable to sailors on entry.
- Minimum height 157 cms. Weight and Chest should be proportionate. Minimum Chest expansion of 5 cms.
- Good mental, medical and physical health free from any disease / disability, likely to interfere with efficient performance of duties. Colour perception : CP II.
- No Cardio- vascular disease, surgical deformities like knock knee, flat feet etc. infection of ears, no history of fits or psychiatric ailment, vericose vein, corrective surgery for eye sight etc.
- Medical standard should be as per the detailed guidelines issued by IHQ MoD ( Navy ) in NO ( Spl ) 01/1999.
- Candidates are advised to get their ears cleaned for wax and tartar removed from teeth prior to examination.
Visual Standards :
Applicants declared Permanent medically unfit by any Armed Forces Hospital in previous recruitment for the same entry in Navy are advised not to apply.
Final Enrolment Medical Examination :
All select list candidates who are issued with a call letter for Final Medical examination will have to undergo Final Enrolment Medical examination at INS Chilka prior to enrolment. Candidates found “unfit” during this medical examination will not be enrolled for training. No “appeal” is permitted for review after the final enrolment Medical Examination at INS Chilka.
Training and Initial Engagement :
The training for the course will commence on 04 Feb 2008, with 24 weeks Basic Training at INS Chilka followed by Professional training in the allotted trade in various Naval Training Establishments. Branch / Trade will be allocated as per the requirement of Service.
Discharge as Unsuitable :
Sailors are liable to be discharged as Unsuitable due to unsatisfactory performance at any time during the training.
Initial Engagement :
The initial engagement is subjected to successful completion of training. The initial engagement is of 15 years.