Indian Army – 18th University Entry Scheme for Permanent Commission 2009
Eighteenth University Entry Scheme ( 18 UES ) for Permanent Commission in the Army July 2009 – 2010
The Indian Army is looking for a few good men. For the best and the brightest amongst you. For men with intellect, idealism and courage. Men who can lead and inspire others.
1. Applications are invited from Unmarried male Engineering Degree students studying in Final Year or Pre – Final Year during academic session July 2008 – 2009 for Grant of Permanent Commission in the Army in all Arms / Services.
2. Vacancies : 60 ( Civil – 09, Electrical – 04, Mechanicai – 10, Computer Science – 09, Telecom – 08, Electronics – 08, IT – 03, Architecture – 03, Public Health Engineering.- 03, Construction Engineering – 02, industrial Engineering & Mgt – 01 ).
Note : The number of vacancies given above is tentative and may be changed at any stage by Army Headquarters.
3. Conditions of Eligibility :
( a ) Nationality :
A candidate must either be :
- a citizen of India, or
- a subject of Bhutan, or
- a subject of Nepal, or
- a Tibetan refugee who came over to India before the 1st January 1962 with the intention of permanently settling in India, Or
- a person of Indian origin who has migrated from Pakistan, Burma, Sri Lanka and East African Countries of Kenya, Uganda, United Republic of Tanzania, Zambia. Malawi, Zaire, Ethiopia and Vietnam with the intention of permanently settling in India.
Provided that a candidate belonging to categories ( ii ), ( iii ), ( iv ) and ( v ) above shall be a person in whose favour a certificate of eligibility has been issued by the Government of India.
Certificate of eligibility will however not be necessary in the case of candidates who are Gorkhas subjects of Nepal.
( b ) Age Limits :
- Final Year Degree Candidates – Not below 19 years and not over 25 years i.e. born between 02 July 84 – and 01 July 90.
- Pre – Final Year Degree Candidates – Not below 18 years and not over 24 year – i.e. born between 02 July 85 and 01 July 91.
4. Method of Selection
The Selection process to be followed is indicated below : ( s ) All applications as per format given in the advertisement are to be forwarded to respective Command Headquarters, ( b ) Preliminary selection of prospective candidates studying in the Final / Pre – Final Year ( Engineering ) will be made by a selection team detailed by Command HQ for holding preliminary interviews at University / College. ( c ) Since candidates are required .
To be under graduates during the selection process and must be graduates at the time of commencement of the course, applications of the Final year candidates graduating before April 2009 and after July 2009, similarly Pre – Final Year candidates graduating before April 2010 and after July 2010 will not be considered.
Candidates whose University examination pattern does not permit applying for the UES are advised to apply for TGC / SSC ( T ) commencing at IMA Dehradun / OTA Chennai in Jan / Apr and Jul / Oct every year. TGC / SSC ( T ) courses are being notified in Employment News and other prominent News papers in April and Oct i.e. approximately 09 months before commencement of TGC course at IMA Dehradun and 12 months before commencement of SSC( T ) course at OTA Chennai.
The decision of ADG Recruiting. Army HQ in the matter of shortlisting and forwarding of applications to Selection Centre for SSB interview will be final, ( d ) Duration of SSB interviews is five days excluding day of arrival. During their stay at SSB, candidates are put through Psychological Tests, Group Test and Interviews, ( e ) Candidates will be put through stage I of the selection procedure on the first day. Only successful candidates shall be retained for balance of the testing.
Candidates who fail to qualify in stage I will be returned on the first day itself. Stage I are Psychologically oriented tests including intelligence tests, ( f ) Candidates who qualify at the SSB and are found medically fit by a Medical Board will be placed in order of merit. The final selection will be made in that order upto the number of vacancies available at that time, ( g ) Pre – final year candidates will be called in the year of their completion of degree, subject to their being medically fit at that time depending on availability of vacancies and their position in the merit, (h) Selected candidates of final year Engineering degree will be granted Short Service Commission on probation in the rank of Lt from the date of their final selection.
Similarly in the case of selected Pre – final year students they would be granted Short Service Commission on probation from the date of their joining the final year class, ( j ) After successful completion of degree course the candidates finally selected will be admitted for Pre – Ccmmission training at Indian Military Academy ( IMA ), Dehradun for a period of 12 months commencing from July 2009 in case of final year students and July 2010 in case of Pre – Final year students.
5. Medical Examination : All candidates recommended by the Service Selection Board will undergo medical examination by a board of Service medical officers. Only those candidates will be admitted to the Academy who are declared fit by the Medical Board. The proceedings of the Medical Board are confidential and will not be divulged to anyone. However the candidates declared unfit by the Special Medical Board ( SMB ), will be intimated by the President of the medical Board and Procedure for request for Appeal Medical Board ( AMB ) will also be intimated to the candidate.
Unfit candidates should report for AMB within maximum 42 days Candidates are advised in their own interest to appear for AMB well in time and should not for last date given by the SMB. Candidates are advised to note that Recruiting Directorate has no role to play in Appeal Medical Board. The procedure advised by medical authorities is strictly to be adhered to. Candidates declared unfit by AMB will be intimated by the president AMB about procedure of challenging the findings of AMB. The candidates will also be intimated that Review Media! Board ( RMB ) will be granted at the discretion of DGAFMS based on the merits of the case and that RMB is not a matter of right.
Candidates will only be considered medially fit on receipt of the approved medical board proceeding from Directorate Genera!, Medical Services, in Addl Dte Gen Rtg.