Indian Air Force
- My dear friends please let me take the liberty of addressing and making you understand about a finest career choice -The Indian Air Force. I do understand, I am addressing an extremely learned and august audience of young professions-right from 12th standard (16 1/2 Yrs) to post graduates/ fellow technical researchers (28 Yrs).
- To begin with, I as a human being, am sincerely concerned about the career choices that the present generation is making, sometimes solely based on peer/ parental pressure, etc. It does give me nightmares to think about a single most important fact that national service through serving in an extremely professional, Indian Air Force has indeed taken a back seat. I do comprehend somewhere down the line that we have lost out on self-pride and dignity too, while serving our own individualistic interests.
- I am indeed not on a fault-finding mission. The reasons for this downward trend of low priority choosing of Armed Forces as a career option by the youth could be many, which by mere consultations and deliberations would yield nothing. My very sole purpose of penning down these lines stems from the fact that we are all human beings and do need a focus in our hay days to make a sensible career choice. Young friends, if it is the challenge to fly a dream machine, a practical engineering skilled job or being part of ops support group that thrills/ fascinates you—then the IAF is the only logical choice. It is not that I represent IAF service today and I am glorifying it for personal reasons but because Indian Air Force what it is today is because of the Indians who make it! Bravo!
- My young friends, if it is a self respecting, professionally challenging, motivating and rewarding career that you seek for yourself then please do not hesitate to take the plunge now itself. The openings for young brave-hearted Indians are many in the Indian Air Force. The various IAF branches are now being presented to you as a ready reckoner.
- Fly Your Dream Machine: Being an IAF pilot is a mind-set. It is aggressiveness, it is attitude, it is new world, a world of imagination, courage and loyalty, a world of patriotism, of brave men and women who are the true sentinels of the skies, who fly where only eagles can dare. Who dare to dream, Do you dare to be one of them? The flying aces who day after day make the country proud. Be the master of the Sky.
- Overseas Assignments: An IAF pilot can be sent on overseas assignments to UN missions, as Attaches in embassies anywhere in the world, for attending courses and staff colleges abroad and deployment on deputation to governments in foreign countries.
- Flying Branch: Indian Air Force offers you opportunities to be a Fighter Pilot, a Helicopter Pilot or a Transport Pilot. You can also become part of various peace and wartime missions.
- Eligibility Criteria for NDA Entry: 10 + 2 male students with Mathematics and Physics as their subjects can apply provided they are between 16 1/2 Yrs -19 Yrs of age and are unmarried. NDA Advertisements are released by UPSC in March and September every year. Aspirants must remember that UPSC releases advertisements 15 months in advance for courses commencing January and July every year. This is for permanent commission into the Flying Branch of the IAF.
- Eligibility Criteria for CDSE Entry: A qualified graduate or a final-year B.E/B. Tech in any discipline with Physics and Mathematics at 10 +2 level can apply through CDSE if he/she is unmarried and between 19-23 Yrs of age. Candidates have to apply in response to the Flying Branch Advertisements given during Apr and Oct by UPSC. Aspirants must remember that UPSC releases advertisements 15 months in advance for courses commencing January and July every year. This is for permanent commission into the Flying Branch of the IAF.
- SSC Flying Pilot Entry (Male & Female): Qualified / Final year graduates (males & females) who had cleared 10+2 exams with Physics & Mathematics as subject, or Qualified / Final year B.Es / B.Techs (both males and females) can apply in response to the advertisement published by IAF during Mar. / Sep. every year. Candidates must be unmarried and aged between 19-23 yrs as on commencement of training. Short-listed candidates are directly” called for PABT (Machine test) and personality tests at any of the AF Selection Boards located at Mysore, Dehradun and Varanasi. This is for SSC entry into the Flying Branch of the IAF with term of engagement for 14 years from the date of commission.
- Technical Branch: Indian Air Force offers a challenging and rewarding career, as well as an opportunity to serve the nation in its Technical Branch. Engineer your future at our expense and touch the heights of greater glory. You would help to maintain the most advanced electronic networks to keep the IAF in peak operational readiness. Apply through advertisement given by Air HQ (VB) during Feb/Aug every year. Age limit 18-28Yrs. Qualified / Final-year(male / female) Engineers can apply to join as Engineering Branch Officers in the IAF.
IAF Grants PC / SSC for Men and SSC for Women. Even Pre-final male engineers are permitted to join IAF through University entry scheme. Selected candidates will be paid Stipend equivalent to the initial Basic Pay of Fg. Offr. rank for 12 Months for their final-year of Study of Engineering on completion of Training. Advertisements for this are also published during Aug every year.
- Operational Support Group (Ground Duties Branch): Ground Duties Branch is the steering power of our flying resources. It is an integration of state-of-art technology equipment and satellite imagery. Apply through advertisement given by Air HQ (VB) during April-Sep every year. Age limit 20-23 Yrs (For Graduates) and 20-25 Yrs (For Post Graduates), 20-26 (For law graduates) and 20-27 Yrs (For CA / 1CWA).
- Finally Rewards Galore—A Class I Gazetted job. When I say a Gazetted job — your name appears in a Gazette of Indian Notification with the Honorable President of India giving you a commissioning certificate signed by himself in person, obviously. I can vouch no other job any where in India will give you this symbol of national and self pride. On commissioning as a Flying Officer in all the IAF branches — Flying, Technical and Ground Duties — your journey into the vast seas of challenges, creativity, professionalism and self-satisfaction has just begun. Bon voyage young friends!
For career details contact:
“DISHA” Air HQs (VB),
Motilal Nehru Marg,
New Delhi – 110011
Telphone No: 011-23010231