Civil Service Exam Mains – IAS Exam Mains 2017 Syllabus for Maithili Paper I – Paper II
History of Maithili Language and its Literature
Answer to be written in Maithili.
History of Maithili Language
1. Place of Maithili in Indo-European language family.
2. Origin and development of Maithili language. ( Sanskrit, Prakrit, Avhatt, Maithili ).
3. Periodic division of Maithili Language. ( Beginning, Middle era, Modern era ).
4. Maithili and its different dialects.
5. Relationship between Maithili and other Eastern languages ( Bengali, Asamese, Oriya ).
6. Origin and development of Tirhuta Script.
7. Pronouns and Verbs in Maithili Language.
History of Maithili Literature
1. Background of Maithili Literature ( Religious, economic, social, cultural ).
2. Periodic division of Maithili literature.
3. Pre-Vidyapati Literature.
4. Vidyapati and his tradition.
5. Medieval Maithili Drama ( Kirtaniya Natak, Ankia Nat, Maithili dramas written in Nepal ).
6. Maithili Folk Literature ( Folk Tales, Folk Drama, Folk Stories, Folk Songs ).
7. Development of different literary forms in modern era.
- Short Story.
8. Development of Maithili Magazines and Journals.