Civil Service Exam Mains – IAS Exam Mains 2014 Syllabus for Assamese
( Answers must be written in Assamese )
- History of the origin and development of the Assamese language-its position among the Indo-Aryan Languages-periods in its history.
- Developments of Assamese prose.
- Vowels and consonants of the Assamese languages-rules of phonetic changes with stress on Assamese coming down from Old Indo-Aryan.
- Assamese vocabulary-and its sources.
- Morphology of the language-conjugation-enclitic definitives and pleonastic suffixes.
- Dilectical divergences-the standard colloquial and the Kamrupi dialect in particulars.
- Assamese scripts-its evolution through the ages till 19th century A.D.
Literary Criticism and Literary History
- Principles of Literary criticism upto New criticism.
- Different literary genres.
- Development of literary forms in Assamese.
- Development of literary criticism in Assamese.
- Periods of the literary history of Assam from the earliest beginnings, i.e. from the period of the charyyageets with their socio-cultural background: the proto Assamese-Pre-Sankaradeva-Sankaradeva-post Sankaradeva-Modern period ( from the coming of the Britishers ) – Post-Independence period. Special emphasis is to be given on the Vaisnavite period, the gonaki and the post-Independence period.
This paper will require fist-hand reading of the texts prescribed and will be designed to test the candidates’ critical ability.
Answers must be written in Assamese.
- Rãmãyana ( Ayodhya Kãnda only ) – by Madhava Kandali.
- Pãrijãt-Harana-by Sankaradeva.
- Rãsakrïdã-by Sankaradeva ( From Kirt ana Ghosa ). Bargeet-by Madhavadeva.
- Rãjasûya-by Madhavadeva.
- Kãthã-Bhãgavata ( Books I and II ) – by Baikunthanath Bhattacharyya.
- Gurucarit-Kathã ( Sankaradeva’s Part only ) – ed. by Maheswar Neog.
- Mor Jeevan Soñwaran-by Lakshminath Bezbaroa.
- Kripãbar Barbaruãr Kãkatar Topola-by Lakshminath Bezbaroa.
- Pratimã-by Chandra Kumar Agarwalla.
- Gãoñburhã-by Padmanath Gohain Barua.
- Monamatî-by Rajanikanta Bordoloi.
- Purani Asamîyã Sãhitya-by Banikanta Kakati.
- Kãrengar Ligirî-by Jyotiprasad Agarwalla
- Jeevanar Bãtat-by Bina Barwa ( Birinchi Kumar Barua )
- Mrityunjoy-by Birendrakumar Bhattachary-ya
- Samrat-by Navakanta Barua.