1. Civil Service Exam Mains – IAS Exam Mains 2015 Syllabus for Pali
( Pali Language )
N.B. All answers must be written in Pali language in Devanagari or Roman Script.
Origin and Homeland of Pali and its characteristics.
2. Pali Grammar
- Technical Terms of Pali Grammar-Akkhara, Sara, Vyanjana, Niggahita, Nama, Sabbanama, Akhyata, Upasagga, Nipata, Abyaya,
- Taddhita. ( Apaccabodhaka-and Adhikarabo-dhaka-Paccaya )
- Etymological derivation of the following words :
Buddho, Bhikkhu, Samanero, Sattha, Dhammo, Lataya, Purisanam, Tumhe, Amhebhi, Munina, Rattisu, Phalaya, Atthisu, Rannam, Sangho.
3.Translation of two Pali unseen passages into English.
4. Essays consisting of 300 words on any one of the following :
- Bhagava Buddho,
- Ariyo atthangiko maggo,
- Cattari ariyasaccani,
- Nibbanam paramam sukham,
5. Summary of Pali passages.
6. Explanation of Pali verses in Pali.
7. The meaning of following indeclinables ( Abyaya and Nipata ) and their use in candidates’ own Pali sentences :
( Pali Literature )
There will be two compulsory questions, which must be answered in Pali Languege in Devanagari or Roman Script. The remaining questions must be attempted either in Pali or in the medium of examination opted by the candidate.
1. Life and teachings of Buddha from the Pali sources.
2. History of Pali Literature-Canonical and Non-Canonical with reference to the following books and authors :
Mahavagga, Cullavagga, Patimokkha, Digha-Nikaya, Dhammapada, Jataka, Theragatha, Therigatha,Dipavamsa, Mahavamsa, Dathavamsa, Sasanavamsa, Milindapanha, Petakopadesa, Nettippa-karana, Buddhadatta, Buddhaghosa and Dhammapala.
1. Textual questions, critical comments and annotated translations would be asked from the following prescribed texts :
- Digha-Nikaya ( Only the Samannaphala-Sutta )
- Sutta-nipata ( Only the Khaggavisana-Sutta and Dhaniya-Sutta )
- Dhammapada ( Only the first five Vagga-s )
- Milindapanha ( Only the Lakkhana-panha )
- Mahavamsa ( Only the Tatiya-Sangiti )
- Abhidhammattha-sangaha ( First, Second and Sixth Chapters )
- Pali Prosody : Vuttodaya-Anutthubha, Indavajira, Upendavajira, Vasantatilaka, Malini, Sikharini, Upajati, totaka, Dodhaka, Vamsattha.
- Pali Rhetoric : Subodhalankara -Yamaka, Anuppasa, Rûpaka, Upama, Atisayutti, Vyatireka, Nidassana, Atthanta-ranyasa, Dipaka, Ditthanta.
2. Short Notes on Buddhist concepts dealt within the prescribed texts.
3. Explanation of Pali Verses from the prescribed texts.