Civil Service Exam Mains – IAS Exam Mains 2017 Syllabus for Mechanical Engineering Paper II - Paper I
Paper – II
1. Thermodynamics, Gas Dynamics and Turbine :
- Basic concept of First – law and second law of Thermodynamics; concept of entropy and reversibility; availability and unavailability and irreversibility.
- Classification and properties of fluids; incompressible and compressible fluids flows; effect of Mach number and compressibility; continuity momentum and energy equations; normal and oblique shocks; one dimensional isentropic flow; flow or fluids in duct with frictions that transfer.
- Flow through fans, blowers and compressors; axial and centrifugal flow configuration; design of fans and compressors; single problems compresses and turbine cascade; open and closed cycle gas turbines; work done in the gas turbine; reheat and regenerators.
2. Heat Transfer:
- Conduction heat transfer – general conduction equation – Laplace, Poisson and Fourier equations; Fourier law of conduction; one dimensional steady state heat conduction applied to simple wall, solid and hollow cylinder & spheres.
- Convection heat transfer – Newton’s law of convection; free and forces convection; heat transfer during laminar and turbulent flow of an incompressible fluid over a flat plate; concepts of Nusselt number, hydrodynamic and thermal boundary layer their thickness; Prandtl number; analogy between heat and momentum transfer – Reynolds, Colbum, Prandtl analogies; heat transfer during laminar and turbulent flow through horizontal tubes; free convection from horizontal and vertical plates.
- Black body radiation – basic radiation laws such as Stefan – Boltzman, Planck distribution, Wein’s displacement etc.
- Basic heat exchanger analysis; classification of heat exchangers.
3. I .C. Engines :
- Classification, thermodynamic cycles of operation; determination of break power, indicated power, mechanical efficiency, heat balance sheet, interpretation of performance characteristics, petrol, gas and diesel engines.
- Combustion in SI and CI engines, normal and abnormal combustion; effect of working parameters on knocking, reduction of knocking; Forms of combustion chamber for SI and CI engines; rating of fuels; additives; emission.
- Different systems of IC engines – fuels; lubricating; cooling and transmission systems. Alternate fuels in IC engines.
4. Steam Engineering :
- Steam generation- modified Rankine cycle analysis; Modern steam boilers; steam at critical and supercritical pressures; draught equipment; natural and artificial draught; boiler fuels solid, liquid and gaseous fuels. Steam turbines – principle; types; compounding; impulse and reaction turbines; axial thrust.
- Steam nozzles – flow of steam in convergent and divergent nozzle; pressure at throat for maximum discharge with different initial steam conditions such as wet, saturated and superheated, effect of variation of back pressure; supersaturated flow of steam in nozzles, Wilson line.
- Rankine cycle with internal and external irreversibility; reheat factor; reheating and regeneration, methods of governing; back pressure and pass out turbines
- Steam power plants – combined cycle power generation; heat recovery steam generators ( HRSG ) fired and unfired, co-generation plants.
5. Refrigeration and air – conditioning :
- Vapour compression refrigeration cycle – cycle on p – H & T-s diagrams; eco – friendly refrigerants – R134a,123; Systems like evaporators, condensers, compressor, expansion devices. Simple vapour absorption systems.
- Psychrometry – properties; processes; charts; sensible heating and cooling; humidification and dehumidification effective temperature; air – conditioning load calculation; simple duct design.